This is a domed 5/8 inch stainless steel concho with a brass Chicago screw back.
Sold as singles.
Cowboy Headstall with Rawhide or Kangaroo #HS51
Description: The Cowboy Headstall With Rawhide or Kangaroo #HS51 is made of leather that is exquisitely covered in hand braided rawhide or kangaroo. Available in your choice of six designs; A-all natural rawhide, B-natural rawhide with black ring knots, C-natural rawhide with black interweave, D-black kangaroo with rawhide buttons, E-black kangaroo and F-black kangaroo with rawhide buttons and ring knots (see pictures at left). The headstall is made of 5/8 inch harness leather and the crown and sliding ear piece are covered in braided rawhide or kangaroo that is beveled so it’s smooth to the touch. The sliding ear piece is designed to fit both small and large horses comfortably. The beveled buckle is stainless steel and the leather beneath the buckle is handsewn together to keep the buckle from slipping.
This is a gorgeous headstall and looks great in the show pen, especially with the #BC5 Straight Breast Collar with Rawhide (available in natural or natural with black accents) or the #BC7 Full Rawhide Braided Breast Collar and the #CCR1 Rawhide Romel Reins. This headstall is available with your choice of slot concho, concho, or tie string bit ends (see dropdown).
Shown with slot conchos.
Shown on the bay horse in addition to the Cowboy Headstall with Rawhide or Kangaroo in rawhide is the #B92 Spanish Bit with Frog Mouthpiece, and the #CCR1 Rawhide Romel Reins. Shown on the roan horse in addition to the Cowboy Headstall with Rawhide or Kangaroo in black kangaroo with rawhide buttons is the Steel Short S Shank Bit #B2 with roller and the Double Buckle Leather Curb Strap #CU21.
Bridle with Shanked Bit & Doubled & Stitched Reins #HT6
The #HT6 Bridle w/Shanked Bit & D & S Reins is made up of the:
• Headstall: This #HS32 Doubled and Stitched One Buckle Slide Ear Headstall is made of 5/8 inch race track harness leather lined with oil-tanned lining leather. The oil-tanned lining leather is soft and feels good against your horse’s face. Race track harness is a very dense, fine grained leather which makes it strong but flexible. The buckle piece on this headstall is extra short to keep the buckle away from the horse’s eye. The bit is connected to the headstall with slot conchos, the safest connection available.
• Bit: #A4 Steel C Shank with Silver Bit. Almost all horses respond to this shank with confidence and content. Mouthpieces are available for every need (see pictures at left and select in dropdown). All mouthpieces are 5 1/8 inch wide and made of steel or a combination of steel and copper. This bit comes with the #BH51 3/8 inch Latigo Leather Bit Hobble.
• Curb: Curb Strap with Flat Chain #CU10. This curb strap is made of an 1/2 inch wide chain attached between two 1/2 inch burgundy latigo leather straps that are hand-edged, hand-rubbed and waxed. The curb can be attached to the bit with the chain flat or with the chain in a twisted position. The beveled buckles, chain and wire loops are all made of stainless steel. This curb is AQHA legal when attached with the chain in the flat position.
• Reins: #BLL1 Latigo on Latigo 5/8″ Reins Med Wt OR #BLL2 Latigo on Latigo 5/8″ Reins Heavy Wt. At 7 feet in length they are perfect for keeping your horse gathered in quick tight turns while never touching the ground. They are just right for riding colts and our shorter cutting and cow horses too. A close-up of the reins is shown at left; make your selection in the dropdown.
This bridle is very functional, exceptional handmade quality, built to last and the shorter reins will stay balanced in quick tight turns in the cow pen! The bit in this bridle is well accepted by almost every horse.
Shown on horse in addition to the #HT6 Complete Bridle is a well used BC2 Shaped Breast Collar.
Bridle with 3/8″ Snaffle & Doubled & Stitched Reins #HT4
The Bridle with 3/8″ Snaffle & Doubled & Stitched Reins is the perfect bridle to ride your colts in. It’s is made up of the:
• Headstall: 3/4 inch Browband Headstall #HS25. This headstall is made of heavy 3/4″ wide single ply harness leather. The leather has been hand-edged, hand-rubbed, oiled with Neatsfoot Oil and hand-rubbed again. The browband is doubled and stitched. The throatlatch is made of 5/8 inch single ply leather. All the buckles are beveled stainless steel with leather loop keepers. The leather beneath the buckles is hand sewn together to prevent the buckles from slipping which makes this headstall easily adjustable between horses. This bridle is available in 2 headstall sizes (see dropdown). The average horse size has a 33″ crown to fit horses 15 hands and under and the large horse size comes with a 36″ crown and is designed to fit horses over 15 hands. The short cheek pieces on this headstall keep the buckles away from the horse’s eyes.
• Bit: 5/16″ Ring Snaffle #17 with the #9 3/8″ mouthpiece. The mouthpiece on this snaffle has a slight bow which tends to be easier on the mouth while at the same time giving a stronger signal than a flat mouthpiece. The mouthpiece is inlaid with copper to promote moistness in the mouth. Close-up of the bit shown at left.
• Curb: Leather Curb Strap with Rawhide #CU40. This curb is made of 1/2 inch hand-edged latigo and is complimented with beautiful hand braided rawhide balls and loops. This curb is AQHA and NRCHA legal.
• Reins: Latigo on Latigo 5/8″ Reins Med Wt #BLL1 or Latigo on Latigo 5/8″ Reins Heavy Wt #BLL2. Your choice of medium or heavy weight Doubled and Stitched Reins (see dropdown) are made particularly for ranch sorting and other work that requires the horse to stay collected. At 7 feet in length they are perfect for keeping your horse gathered in those quick tight turns while not dragging the ground. They are just right for riding colts and our shorter cutting and cow horses too. Close-up of the reins shown at left.
This bridle is designed for the Cutter, Ranch Sorter and Cow horse. It’s very functional and built to last. Best of all it will help you in those quick tight turns in the pen! This is also the perfect piece of equipment to start your colts in.
One Buckle Slot Ear Headstall with Rawhide #HS52
Description: The One Buckle Slot Ear Headstall with Rawhide #HS51 is made of 5/8 inch single ply harness leather with hand-braided rawhide on the cheek pieces and a beautiful rawhide accent on the ear slot. This headstall has a long ear slot for a comfortable fit on any age or size horse. The single buckle is beveled stainless steel with a rawhide loop keeper. The leather beneath the buckle is hand sewn together to keep the buckle from slipping.
Available with your choice of slot concho, concho or tie end bit ends (see dropdown).
Shown with slot conchos.
Doubled and Stitched Slot Ear Headstall #HS31
Description: The Doubled and Stitched One Buckle Slot Ear Headstall #HS31 is made of 5/8 inch race track harness leather lined with oil-tanned lining leather. Race track harness is a very dense, fine grained leather which makes it strong but flexible. This is the best leather I can buy. The lining leather feels good against your horse’s face. The headstall has a beveled stainless steel adjustment buckle. The leather beneath the buckle is handsewn together to keep the buckle from slipping. The headstall has been edged, hand-rubbed, treated with Neatsfoot Oil and hand-rubbed again.
How it works: The short cheek piece on this headstall keeps the buckle away from the horse’s eye. The slot ear is sized right to fit small and large horses. This is such a nice easy headstall to slip on a horse and be on your way.
Crafting: To make a doubled and stitched headstall I take the race track harness and the oil-tanned lining leathers and split them to the correct thicknesses. Next I glue the 2 pieces and carefully cut the desired shapes. Finally it’s stitched together. Doubled and stitched leather is more durable and longer lasting than single ply leather and also has a nice eye-catching appearance. The doubled & stitched items are not thicker than single ply leather so still have that good feel in your hands and on the horse. “Matlock Rose designed the pattern for this headstall which he used on every horse he rode. In 1976 he gave the pattern to me. I have produced this headstall since that time and it’s always been my favorite doubled and stitched headstall.” Dennis
The headstall has teardrop bit ends with your choice of slot conchos, tie ends, or conchos (see dropdown). To purchase this headstall with sterling silver hardware visit Slot Ear Headstall with Silver.
Shown with slot conchos.