Rawhide Braided Breast Collar with Black Interweave #BC8
Description: The body of the Rawhide Braided Breast Collar with Black Interweave is covered fully in hand braided rawhide and accented with beautiful black kangaroo interweave in 2 patterns. Pattern A has black interweave at the ends of each side of the breast collar. Pattern B has black interweave in the center and at the ends of each side of the breast collar (see photos at left; order in the dropdown). Both patterns are stunning with the Doubled and Stitched Headstalls with Rawhide and Black Interweave available here at DM Tack!
This breast collar is 1 inch wide. It’s made of racetrack harness leather and lined with burgundy latigo leather. The chafe under the center dee is lined with sheepskin. The hold down strap is adjustable single ply leather with an easily adjustable buckle. The tugs are 3/4 inch. The dees, buckles and snap are all stainless steel. The rawhide and kangaroo are hand beveled to be smooth to the touch and beautifully hand braided over the leather.
This breast collar is eye catching in the show pen and will last for years of hard use on the ranch or trail! Ride it with any of the Doubled and Stitched Headstalls with Rawhide and Black Interweave made here at Dennis Moreland Tack.
Basket Stamped One Buckle Slide Ear Headstall #HS41
Description: The Basket Stamped One Buckle Slide Ear Headstall is made of 5/8 inch double and stitched skirting leather. It has a precisely designed slide ear piece to fit comfortably on any age or size horse. The stainless steel buckle is beveled. The extra hand stitching just below the buckle prevents it from slipping making the headstall very easy to adjust. The headstall is completely hand stamped and has a hand braided rawhide loop keeper.
Crafting: To make a doubled and stitched headstall I take 2 pieces of skirting leather and split them to the correct thicknesses. Next I glue the 2 pieces and carefully cut the desired shapes. Finally it’s stitched together and stamped. Doubled and stitched leather is more durable and longer lasting than single ply leather. The doubled & stitched items are not thicker than single ply leather so still have that good feel in your hands and on the horse.
Available with your choice of slot concho, concho, or tie string bit ends (see dropdown).
Shown with slot conchos.
Sliding Gag Bit with Twisted Wire Snaffle #20-42
Description: This Dennis Moreland Tack Sliding Gag Bit is built with a twisted wire mouthpiece. You have a choice of a stainless steel twisted wire headstall or, for the more sensitive horse, a 3/4 inch harness leather slide ear headstall or a 3/4 inch brow band headstall (photo at left, please see dropdown to order). The center bar on the bit cheeks limits the movement of the sliding mouthpiece to provide a quicker action and instant relief. The hard lay nylon cord allows the bit to slide easily. The cord is attached to a stainless steel buckle which attaches it to adjustable single ply 3/4 inch harness leather cheeks. The twisted wire mouthpiece gives a stronger signal than the common snaffle or dog bone snaffle and is very good to use if your horse has become resistant to giving his nose and/or lowering his head. This snaffle should improve stops in a horse that is trying to run off.
How it works: The simultaneous pressure on the mouth from the sliding gag bit and on the poll from the twisted, shaped, stainless steel or the leather crown increases control of the nose and improves total balancing power to produce the ultimate in vertical flexion and feel. Because your rein aids are strengthened with the gag, your leg cues given at the same time become reinforced and easier for the horse to respond to. You will be able to better concentrate on fine details of your training rather than large rebalancing or repositioning efforts regardless of your type of riding. This gag bridle is an excellent training tool for both young and older horses that need to improve flexibility and response. Your horse will learn that when it breaks at the poll the release will be instant, smooth, and consistent. Since these gags release so quickly your horse is not trapped in position while it waits for the release to occur. This helps horses stay calm and confident in training and also when they are in competition. The leather crown works well with this twisted wire mouthpiece on horses that want to drop their heads while continuing to pull on the bit.
The Sliding Gag is sold without reins. Any Dennis Moreland Tack split reins or roping reins will work. To select your reins visit the rein category.
If you don’t have experience with sliding gags Dennis Moreland Tack recommends you seek the help of a professional who has experience as you are learning to use them.
Bridle with Eggbutt & Harness Leather Reins #HT1
This Bridle w/ Eggbutt & Harness Leather Reins #HT1 is made up of:
• Headstall: 3/4 Inch Browband Headstall #HS24. This headstall is made of heavy single ply harness leather, 3/4 inches wide. The leather has been hand-edged, hand-rubbed, oiled with Neatsfoot Oil and hand-rubbed again. The browband is doubled and stitched which helps give this headstall a very eye-catching appearance. The throatlatch is made of 5/8 inch single ply leather. All the buckles are beveled stainless steel with leather loop keepers. The leather beneath the buckles is hand sewn together to prevent the buckles from slipping which helps make this headstall so nice to adjust to fit different horses. This bridle is available in 3 headstall sizes (see dropdown). The small horse size has a 28 inch crown and is designed to fit horses under 14 1/2 hands. The average horse size has a 33 inch crown to fit horses approximately 14 1/2 to 15 1/2 hands. The large horse size comes with a 36 inch crown and is designed to fit horses over 15 1/2 hands.
• Bit: Eggbutt Snaffle #18. The eggbutt snaffle mouthpiece has a slight bow which tends to be easier on the mouth while at the same time giving a slightly more direct signal than the ring snaffle. The mouthpiece is inlaid with copper to promote salivation.
• Curb: Rawhide Ball Curb #CU40. This Rawhide Ball Curb is made of 1/2 inch hand-edged latigo and is complimented with handbraided rawhide balls and loops. This curb is AQHA and NRCHA legal on a snaffle.
Reins: Two rein choices available (see dropdown).
• DM Harness Leather Split Reins #ASR6. These reins are hand cut, hand-edged, 6 1/2 to 7 feet long and 5/8 inch wide. They are just right for riding colts and they feel great.
• X Harness Leather Split Reins #ASR4. These reins average 7 to 7 1/2 feet in length and are 5/8 of an inch wide. These are a good choice for colts and horses over 14 hands.
Make it easy! Get this handmade bridle ready to ride! It’s AQHA and NRCHA legal in snaffle bit classes.
Bridle with Aluminum Bit & Doubled & Stitched Reins #HT5
The Bridle with Aluminum Bit & Doubled and Stitched Reins #HT5 is made up of the:
• Headstall: Cowboy Headstall #HS51 with Braided Rawhide. The crown and sliding ear piece on this beautiful headstall are covered with exquisite hand braided rawhide. The sliding ear piece is designed to fit both small and large horses comfortably.
• Bit: 7″ Aluminum Shank Bit #B9. This bit comes with your choice of steel mouthpieces (order in dropdown). This is a good mild bit to introduce your colt to a shanked bit from a snaffle or hackamore. This lightweight shanks allow a soft touch to pull a green horse around to teach them to turn and maneuver in a shank bit. Close-up of the bit and mouthpiece choices shown at left. Shown with mouthpiece #2B.
• Curb: Curb Strap with Flat Chain #CU10. This curb strap is made of an 1/2 inch wide chain attached between two 1/2 inch burgundy latigo leather straps that are hand-edged, hand-rubbed and waxed. The curb can be attached to the bit with the chain flat or with the chain in a twisted position. The beveled buckles, chain and wire loops are all made of stainless steel. This curb is AQHA legal when attached with the chain in the flat position.
• Reins: Latigo on Latigo 5/8″ Reins Med Wt #BLL1 or Latigo on Latigo 5/8″ Reins Heavy Wt #BLL2. Your choice of medium or heavy weight Double and Stitched Reins (see dropdown) are made particularly for our shorter cutting and cow horses. At 7 feet in length they are perfect for keeping your horse gathered in those quick tight turns while never touching the ground. Close-up of the reins shown at left.
This is a really good bridle to transition your colt to from a snaffle or hackamore. It can also be used on the older horse that needs a light weight, mild bit. Make it easy on yourself! Get this beautifully hand made top quality bridle ready to ride!
2 Rein Outfit #HU7
The 2 Rein Outfit is made of the:
Bosalita: The Bosalita is made of hand braided rawhide on your choice of a soft or hard core (see dropdown) and comes with an 3/8 inch handmade latigo California Style Hanger. The nose button is 7 inches in length. At 5 inches in width between the hanger buttons this bosalita is available in 10, 11 & 12 inch lengths from top to bottom. Please see the picture at left for size measurement descriptions. General guidelines for bosalita length: the 10 inch bosalita will fit a horse with a small muzzle, usually those 14.2 hands and under that weigh 900 lbs. or less. The 11 inch bosalita will fit a medium size muzzle and will fit the majority of horses. The 12 inch bosalita is made to fit a larger horse, generally those horses 15.2 hands and over that weigh 1250 lbs. or more. These measurements are dependent on individual muzzle size so it’s best to measure your horse.
Mecate: This #DK1 3/8 inch 4 strand Horse Mane-Hair Mecate has a firm twist, good body and a very soft hand. It is twisted on a horsehair core and is 22 feet in length. I have various colors available including sorrels, greys, blacks and whites. Please call for color availability 817-312-5305. If I don’t hear from you, I will choose the color.
Bridle: The bridle is made up of the #HS53 Two Buckle Slide Ear Headstall with Rawhide with slot conchos, the #A4 Steel C Shank Bit with Silver with the #4F mouthpiece with roller (this bit is NRCHA legal), the #CU21 Double Buckle Leather Curb (also NRCHA legal) and the beautiful, well balanced, completely hand braided #CCR1 Rawhide Romal Reins. These reins are 108 inches in total length and come in your choice of 2 core widths: 3/16 inch and 1/4 inch (see dropdown).
How it works: The 2 rein is used when you’re taking your young horses from the hackamore to the bit. It helps them keep a light mouth while you’re finishing their training. A long trot across a big pasture teaches the horse to carry the bit correctly without ever having his mouth pulled on. You can adjust the length of the mecate and reins as you ride, if things get fast when you’re sorting a cow or yearling use just the bosalita and mecate. Because the horse is learning to work without pushing on the bit or throwing his head he will more easily be able to work tough cattle or do any other type of work successfully.
This is a top quality, functional set up for your 2 rein horse.