One Buckle Headstall with Black Rawhide Interweave #HS60
Description: The cheek pieces on this headstall are accented with beautiful hand braided rawhide with black kangaroo interweave. The ear piece is also covered with braided rawhide. The headstall is made of doubled and stitched 5/8 inch race track harness leather lined with oil-tanned lining leather. The stainless steel buckle is beveled and has a braided rawhide keeper. The leather beneath the buckle is hand sewn together to keep the buckle from slipping during adjustments. This leather is hand-edged, hand-rubbed, treated with Neatsfoot Oil and hand-rubbed again. The rawhide is treated with rawhide cream.
How it works: Race track harness is a very dense, fine grained leather which makes this headstall strong but flexible. This is the best leather I can buy. The lining leather feels good against your horse’s face. Because the leather is split to the correct thickness before being doubled and stitched this headstall is not thicker than a single ply leather headstall. This makes it more durable and longer lasting than a single ply headstall and it has that good feel in your hands and on the horse. The braiding is stunning.
Available with your choice of slot concho, concho, or tie string bit ends (see dropdown).
Shown with slot conchos.
Sliding Gag Bit with Twisted Wire Snaffle #20-42
Description: This Dennis Moreland Tack Sliding Gag Bit is built with a twisted wire mouthpiece. You have a choice of a stainless steel twisted wire headstall or, for the more sensitive horse, a 3/4 inch harness leather slide ear headstall or a 3/4 inch brow band headstall (photo at left, please see dropdown to order). The center bar on the bit cheeks limits the movement of the sliding mouthpiece to provide a quicker action and instant relief. The hard lay nylon cord allows the bit to slide easily. The cord is attached to a stainless steel buckle which attaches it to adjustable single ply 3/4 inch harness leather cheeks. The twisted wire mouthpiece gives a stronger signal than the common snaffle or dog bone snaffle and is very good to use if your horse has become resistant to giving his nose and/or lowering his head. This snaffle should improve stops in a horse that is trying to run off.
How it works: The simultaneous pressure on the mouth from the sliding gag bit and on the poll from the twisted, shaped, stainless steel or the leather crown increases control of the nose and improves total balancing power to produce the ultimate in vertical flexion and feel. Because your rein aids are strengthened with the gag, your leg cues given at the same time become reinforced and easier for the horse to respond to. You will be able to better concentrate on fine details of your training rather than large rebalancing or repositioning efforts regardless of your type of riding. This gag bridle is an excellent training tool for both young and older horses that need to improve flexibility and response. Your horse will learn that when it breaks at the poll the release will be instant, smooth, and consistent. Since these gags release so quickly your horse is not trapped in position while it waits for the release to occur. This helps horses stay calm and confident in training and also when they are in competition. The leather crown works well with this twisted wire mouthpiece on horses that want to drop their heads while continuing to pull on the bit.
The Sliding Gag is sold without reins. Any Dennis Moreland Tack split reins or roping reins will work. To select your reins visit the rein category.
If you don’t have experience with sliding gags Dennis Moreland Tack recommends you seek the help of a professional who has experience as you are learning to use them.
Bridle w/ Eggbutt & Mecate #HT2
The Bridle w/ Eggbutt & Mecate #HT2 is made up of the:
• Headstall: 3/4 inch Browband Headstall #HS24. This browband headstall is made of heavy single ply harness leather, 3/4 inches wide. The leather has been hand-edged, hand-rubbed, oiled with Neatsfoot Oil and hand-rubbed again. The browband is doubled and stitched which helps give this headstall a very eye-catching appearance. The throatlatch is made of 5/8 inch single ply leather. All the buckles are beveled stainless steel with leather loop keepers. The leather beneath the buckles is hand sewn together to prevent the buckles from slipping which helps make this headstall so easy to adjust to fit different horses. This bridle is available in 3 headstall sizes (see dropdown). The small horse size has a 28 inch crown and is designed to fit horses under 14 1/2 hands. The average horse size has a 33 inch crown to fit horses approximately 14 1/2 to 15 1/2 hands. The large horse size comes with a 36 inch crown and is designed to fit horses over 15 1/2 hands.
• Bit: Eggbutt Snaffle #18. The eggbutt mouthpiece has a slight bow which tends to be easier on the mouth while at the same time giving a clearer signal than the ring snaffle by applying pressure to the mouth on the opposite side of the pull. The mouthpiece is inlaid with copper to promote moistness in the mouth.
• Curb: Leather Curb Strap with Rawhide #CU40. This eye catching curb is made of 1/2 inch hand-edged latigo and is complimented with handbraided rawhide balls and loops. This curb is AQHA and NRCHA legal.
• Mecate: Round 5/8 inch Nylon Mecate #DMR5. This mecate is made of round 5/8 inch brown braid-on-braid nylon and is available in your choice of 22 or 24 foot lengths (see dropdown to order). The 22 foot is a good length for colts and horses 14 hands and under while the 24 foot length works well on those over 14 hands. It’s made with a ring knot and tassel at one end and a 5/8 inch leather popper at the opposite end. The mecate is attached to the bit with slobber straps.
• Slobber Straps: Slobber Straps #ZL. These slobber straps are made of 2 inch x 5 1/2 inch (folded) racetrack harness leather.
This is a durable, punchy outfit that will last through years of hard use. This bridle will feel good in your hands and to the horse, it is made of the best leather I can buy. The eggbutt is stainless steel.
Make it easy on yourself! Get this extremely high quality bridle ready to ride!
Bridle with Shanked Bit & Doubled & Stitched Reins #HT6
The #HT6 Bridle w/Shanked Bit & D & S Reins is made up of the:
• Headstall: This #HS32 Doubled and Stitched One Buckle Slide Ear Headstall is made of 5/8 inch race track harness leather lined with oil-tanned lining leather. The oil-tanned lining leather is soft and feels good against your horse’s face. Race track harness is a very dense, fine grained leather which makes it strong but flexible. The buckle piece on this headstall is extra short to keep the buckle away from the horse’s eye. The bit is connected to the headstall with slot conchos, the safest connection available.
• Bit: #A4 Steel C Shank with Silver Bit. Almost all horses respond to this shank with confidence and content. Mouthpieces are available for every need (see the 2 pictures at left). Select your mouthpiece in the dropdown below. All mouthpieces are 5 1/8 inch wide and made of steel or a combination of steel and copper. This bit comes with the #BH51 3/8 inch Latigo Leather Bit Hobble.
• Curb: #CU10 Stainless Steel Flat Chain Curb. This curb is made of two 1/2 inch burgundy latigo leather straps with stainless steel beveled buckles, flat chain and wire loops. AQHA legal.
• Reins: #BLL1 Latigo on Latigo 5/8″ Reins Med Wt OR #BLL2 Latigo on Latigo 5/8″ Reins Heavy Wt. At 7 feet in length they are perfect for keeping your horse gathered in quick tight turns while never touching the ground. They are just right for riding colts and our shorter cutting and cow horses too. Close-up of the reins shown at left, order in the dropdown below.
This bridle is very functional, exceptional handmade quality, built to last and the shorter reins will stay balanced in quick tight turns in the cow pen! The bit in this bridle is well accepted by almost every horse.
Shown on horse in addition to the #HT6 Complete Bridle is a well used BC2 Shaped Breast Collar.
Bridle w/ Buster Welch Bit & XX Reins #HT7
The #HT7 Bridle w/Buster Welch Bit & XX Reins is made up of the:
Headstall: This beautiful HS53 Two Buckle Slide Ear Headstall with Rawhide is made of 5/8 inch single ply harness leather with exquisite hand-braided rawhide on the cheek pieces and a beautiful rawhide accent on the ear piece. The buckles are beveled stainless steel handstitched to stay in place and with hand braided rawhide loops. This is a gorgeous headstall in the show ring and also very durable for everyday use. It comes with slot conchos, shown.
Bit: #B5 Steel Buster Welch Shank Bit with Silver. This solid shank bit has 8 1/4 inch shanks and a 5 1/8 inch wide mouthpiece. This is a favorite among horsemen, especially cutters. If you aren’t getting quite enough feel or response from your aluminum bit this may be a perfect replacement. The port on this 6F mouthpiece has a slight rise to give some tongue relief. The mouthpiece is flat allowing even contact across the tongue, not just at the area of the bars as in a mouthpiece with bend. This bit is made from high strength 4130 steel and is beautifully overlaid with hand engraved nickel silver.
Curb: #CU20 Nylon Stainless Steel Dog Chain Curb. The chain in this curb is stainless steel with 1/8 inch nylon cord ties. This curb gives a stronger signal than either a leather curb or a flat 1/2 inch chain curb.
Reins: #ASR3 Dennis Moreland XX Harness Leather Split Reins. These are the biggest selling rein I make. They’re hand cut from heavy harness leather and are 7 to 7 1/2 feet long and 5/8 inch wide and are short enough to ride little cutters with and heavy enough to show in. Heavy harness leather bridle reins are very special to me. Every effort is made to give you the best rein you have ever had. From working with the tannery to get only the finest dense, tight fibered leather available, to cutting the reins in pairs, edging, hand rubbing, oiling and hand rubbing again for a great feel before the reins are shipped to you. This tight fibered harness leather will last for years of hard use.
This bridle is perfect for the arena and will also hold up for years under the toughest outdoor conditions.
2 Rein Outfit #HU7
The 2 Rein Outfit is made of the:
Bosalita: The Bosalita is made of hand braided rawhide on your choice of a soft or hard core (see dropdown) and comes with an 1/2 inch handmade latigo California Style Hanger. The nose button is 7 inches in length. At 5 inches in width between the hanger buttons this bosalita is available in 10, 11 & 12 inch lengths from top to bottom. Please see the picture at left for size measurement descriptions. General guidelines for bosalita length: the 10 inch bosalita will fit a horse with a small muzzle, usually those 14.2 hands and under that weigh 900 lbs. or less. The 11 inch bosalita will fit a medium size muzzle and will fit the majority of horses. The 12 inch bosalita is made to fit a larger horse, generally those horses 15.2 hands and over that weigh 1250 lbs. or more. These measurements are dependent on individual muzzle size so it’s best to measure your horse.
Mecate: This #DK1 3/8 inch 4 strand Horse Mane-Hair Mecate has a firm twist, good body and a very soft hand. It is twisted on a horsehair core and is 22 feet in length. I have various colors available including sorrels, greys, blacks and whites. Please call for color availability 817-312-5305. If I don’t hear from you, I will choose the color.
Bridle: The bridle is made up of the #HS53 Two Buckle Slide Ear Headstall with Rawhide with slot conchos, the #A4 Steel C Shank Bit with Silver with the #4F mouthpiece with roller (this bit is NRCHA legal), the #CU21 Double Buckle Leather Curb (also NRCHA legal) and the beautiful, well balanced, completely hand braided #CCR1 Rawhide Romal Reins. These reins are 108 inches in total length and come in your choice of 2 core widths: 3/16 inch and 1/4 inch (see dropdown).
How it works: The 2 rein is used when you’re taking your young horses from the hackamore to the bit. It helps them keep a light mouth while you’re finishing their training. A long trot across a big pasture teaches the horse to carry the bit correctly without ever having his mouth pulled on. You can adjust the length of the mecate and reins as you ride, if things get fast when you’re sorting a cow or yearling use just the bosalita and mecate. Because the horse is learning to work without pushing on the bit or throwing his head he will more easily be able to work tough cattle or do any other type of work successfully.
This is a top quality, functional set up for your 2 rein horse.