Cowboy Headstall with Rawhide or Kangaroo #HS51
$310.00 – $330.00
Description: The Cowboy Headstall With Rawhide or Kangaroo #HS51 is made of leather that is exquisitely covered in hand braided rawhide or kangaroo. Available in your choice of six designs; A-all natural rawhide, B-natural rawhide with black ring knots, C-natural rawhide with black interweave, D-black kangaroo with rawhide buttons, E-black kangaroo and F-black kangaroo with rawhide buttons and ring knots (see pictures at left). The headstall is made of 5/8 inch harness leather and the crown and sliding ear piece are covered in braided rawhide or kangaroo that is beveled so it’s smooth to the touch. The sliding ear piece is designed to fit both small and large horses comfortably. The beveled buckle is stainless steel and the leather beneath the buckle is handsewn together to keep the buckle from slipping.
This is a gorgeous headstall and looks great in the show pen, especially with the #BC5 Straight Breast Collar with Rawhide (available in natural or natural with black accents) or the #BC7 Full Rawhide Braided Breast Collar and the #CCR1 Rawhide Romel Reins. This headstall is available with your choice of slot concho, concho, or tie string bit ends (see dropdown).
Shown with slot conchos.
Shown on the bay horse in addition to the Cowboy Headstall with Rawhide or Kangaroo in rawhide is the #B92 Spanish Bit with Frog Mouthpiece, and the #CCR1 Rawhide Romel Reins. Shown on the roan horse in addition to the Cowboy Headstall with Rawhide or Kangaroo in black kangaroo with rawhide buttons is the Steel Short S Shank Bit #B2 with roller and the Double Buckle Leather Curb Strap #CU21.
Bridle with 3/8″ Snaffle & Doubled & Stitched Reins #HT4
The Bridle with 3/8″ Snaffle & Doubled & Stitched Reins is the perfect bridle to ride your colts in. It’s is made up of the:
• Headstall: 3/4 inch Browband Headstall #HS25. This headstall is made of heavy 3/4″ wide single ply harness leather. The leather has been hand-edged, hand-rubbed, oiled with Neatsfoot Oil and hand-rubbed again. The browband is doubled and stitched. The throatlatch is made of 5/8 inch single ply leather. All the buckles are beveled stainless steel with leather loop keepers. The leather beneath the buckles is hand sewn together to prevent the buckles from slipping which makes this headstall easily adjustable between horses. This bridle is available in 2 headstall sizes (see dropdown). The average horse size has a 33″ crown to fit horses 15 hands and under and the large horse size comes with a 36″ crown and is designed to fit horses over 15 hands. The short cheek pieces on this headstall keep the buckles away from the horse’s eyes.
• Bit: 5/16″ Ring Snaffle #17 with the #9 3/8″ mouthpiece. The mouthpiece on this snaffle has a slight bow which tends to be easier on the mouth while at the same time giving a stronger signal than a flat mouthpiece. The mouthpiece is inlaid with copper to promote moistness in the mouth. Close-up of the bit shown at left.
• Curb: Leather Curb Strap with Rawhide #CU40. This curb is made of 1/2 inch hand-edged latigo and is complimented with beautiful hand braided rawhide balls and loops. This curb is AQHA and NRCHA legal.
• Reins: Latigo on Latigo 5/8″ Reins Med Wt #BLL1 or Latigo on Latigo 5/8″ Reins Heavy Wt #BLL2. Your choice of medium or heavy weight Doubled and Stitched Reins (see dropdown) are made particularly for ranch sorting and other work that requires the horse to stay collected. At 7 feet in length they are perfect for keeping your horse gathered in those quick tight turns while not dragging the ground. They are just right for riding colts and our shorter cutting and cow horses too. Close-up of the reins shown at left.
This bridle is designed for the Cutter, Ranch Sorter and Cow horse. It’s very functional and built to last. Best of all it will help you in those quick tight turns in the pen! This is also the perfect piece of equipment to start your colts in.
Sliding Gag Bit with Snaffle Mouthpiece #20
Description: You have a choice of 3 snaffle mouthpieces and 3 headstalls with this Draw Gag Bit. The mouthpiece choices are a 3/8 inch common snaffle, a 5/8 inch common snaffle or a dog bone snaffle. See the photos at left, descriptions below, and dropdown to order. You also have your choice of 3 headstalls. The first is a stainless steel twisted wire headstall which is designed for horses that need a very strong signal. For the more sensitive horse, a 3/4 inch harness leather slide ear headstall or a 3/4 inch brow band headstall are also available. See the photo at left and the dropdown to order.
The custom designed bit slides easily on the hard lay nylon slide cord made especially for this bit. You will get quick and consistent cues from your reins because of the way the bit slides on this cord. The cord is attached to a stainless steel buckle which attaches it to adjustable single ply 3/4 inch harness leather cheeks. See the diagram at left to visualize this.
#9: The Two Piece (common) Snaffle mouthpiece #9 is 3/8” in diameter. It works to give you a quicker and more consistent response when you ask your horse to give its head.
#52: The mouthpiece on the #52 common snaffle is 5/8” in diameter. The large diameter will help your horse relax. If your horse is anxious or afraid of the bit this mouthpiece may work very well. This bit gives a slower signal than a mouthpiece that’s smaller in diameter. This slower signal will help reduce anxious behavior.
#16: The 3/8” Dog Bone Snaffle. This snaffle really helps a horse relax because it is such a gentle mouthpiece. The extra link in the middle of the bit spreads the pressure from the rein signal more evenly across the mouth than a common 2 piece snaffle. The copper rings promote salivation and give the horse something to roll with his tongue to help him relax.
How it works: The Sliding Gag Bit puts pressure on the mouth and at the same time the headstall crown puts pressure on the poll. These 2 points of pressure increase control of the nose and improve total balancing power. With the increased control and balance you will gain vertical flexion and feel.
The draw gag bit strengthens your rein aids so your leg cues given at the same time become reinforced. This makes it easier for the horse to respond. You will be able to concentrate on fine details of your training, rather than large rebalancing or repositioning efforts. This gag bridle will improve your horse’s flexibility and increase his response to your cues.
The center bar on the bit cheeks limits the movement of the sliding mouthpiece. This limited movement provides a quicker action and a much quicker release than gags with longer shanks. Your horse learns that when it breaks at the poll the release will be instant, smooth and consistent. Your horses will be calmer and more confident in training and competition when they are not trapped by a slow releasing gag.
Choose any Dennis Moreland split reins or roping reins for your sliding gag. The Sliding Gag is sold without reins. To select your reins visit the rein category and add them to your order.
Seek the help of a professional as you are learning to use a sliding gag bit if you don’t have experience.
One Buckle Slot Ear Headstall with Rawhide #HS52
Description: The One Buckle Slot Ear Headstall with Rawhide #HS51 is made of 5/8 inch single ply harness leather with hand-braided rawhide on the cheek pieces and a beautiful rawhide accent on the ear slot. This headstall has a long ear slot for a comfortable fit on any age or size horse. The single buckle is beveled stainless steel with a rawhide loop keeper. The leather beneath the buckle is hand sewn together to keep the buckle from slipping.
Available with your choice of slot concho, concho or tie end bit ends (see dropdown).
Shown with slot conchos.
Bridle with Aluminum Bit & Doubled & Stitched Reins #HT5
The Bridle with Aluminum Bit & Doubled and Stitched Reins #HT5 is made up of the:
• Headstall: Cowboy Headstall #HS51 with Braided Rawhide. The crown and sliding ear piece on this beautiful headstall are covered with exquisite hand braided rawhide. The sliding ear piece is designed to fit both small and large horses comfortably.
• Bit: 7″ Aluminum Shank Bit #B9. This bit comes with your choice of steel mouthpieces (order in dropdown). This is a good mild bit to introduce your colt to a shanked bit from a snaffle or hackamore. This lightweight shanks allow a soft touch to pull a green horse around to teach them to turn and maneuver in a shank bit. Close-up of the bit and mouthpiece choices shown at left. Shown with mouthpiece #2B.
• Curb: Curb Strap with Flat Chain #CU10. This curb strap is made of an 1/2 inch wide chain attached between two 1/2 inch burgundy latigo leather straps that are hand-edged, hand-rubbed and waxed. The curb can be attached to the bit with the chain flat or with the chain in a twisted position. The beveled buckles, chain and wire loops are all made of stainless steel. This curb is AQHA legal when attached with the chain in the flat position.
• Reins: Latigo on Latigo 5/8″ Reins Med Wt #BLL1 or Latigo on Latigo 5/8″ Reins Heavy Wt #BLL2. Your choice of medium or heavy weight Double and Stitched Reins (see dropdown) are made particularly for our shorter cutting and cow horses. At 7 feet in length they are perfect for keeping your horse gathered in those quick tight turns while never touching the ground. Close-up of the reins shown at left.
This is a really good bridle to transition your colt to from a snaffle or hackamore. It can also be used on the older horse that needs a light weight, mild bit. Make it easy on yourself! Get this beautifully hand made top quality bridle ready to ride!
Doubled and Stitched Slot Ear Headstall #HS31
Description: The Doubled and Stitched One Buckle Slot Ear Headstall #HS31 is made of 5/8 inch race track harness leather lined with oil-tanned lining leather. Race track harness is a very dense, fine grained leather which makes it strong but flexible. This is the best leather I can buy. The lining leather feels good against your horse’s face. The headstall has a beveled stainless steel adjustment buckle. The leather beneath the buckle is handsewn together to keep the buckle from slipping. The headstall has been edged, hand-rubbed, treated with Neatsfoot Oil and hand-rubbed again.
How it works: The short cheek piece on this headstall keeps the buckle away from the horse’s eye. The slot ear is sized right to fit small and large horses. This is such a nice easy headstall to slip on a horse and be on your way.
Crafting: To make a doubled and stitched headstall I take the race track harness and the oil-tanned lining leathers and split them to the correct thicknesses. Next I glue the 2 pieces and carefully cut the desired shapes. Finally it’s stitched together. Doubled and stitched leather is more durable and longer lasting than single ply leather and also has a nice eye-catching appearance. The doubled & stitched items are not thicker than single ply leather so still have that good feel in your hands and on the horse. “Matlock Rose designed the pattern for this headstall which he used on every horse he rode. In 1976 he gave the pattern to me. I have produced this headstall since that time and it’s always been my favorite doubled and stitched headstall.” Dennis
The headstall has teardrop bit ends with your choice of slot conchos, tie ends, or conchos (see dropdown).
Shown with slot conchos.