Basket Stamped Browband Headstall #HS43
Description: The Basket Stamped Browband Headstall is made of 3/4 inch double and stitched skirting leather. The buckles on each cheek piece are beveled stainless steel and have hand braided rawhide loop keepers. The extra hand stitching just below each buckle prevents them from slipping. The throatlatch is 5/8 inch leather. Doubled and stitched leather is more durable and longer lasting than single ply leather but not thicker so will still have that good feel in your hands and on the horse.
Crafting: To make a doubled and stitched stamped headstall I take 2 pieces of skirting leather and split them to the correct thicknesses. Next I glue the 2 pieces and carefully cut the desired shapes. Finally it’s stitched together and the basket weave pattern is stamped.
This is a beautiful handmade headstall for all disciplines. Available with your choice of slot concho, concho, or tie string bit ends (see dropdown).
Shown with slot conchos.
Sliding Gag Bit with Twisted Wire Snaffle #20-42
Description: This Dennis Moreland Tack Sliding Gag Bit is built with a twisted wire mouthpiece. You have a choice of a stainless steel twisted wire headstall or, for the more sensitive horse, a 3/4 inch harness leather slide ear headstall or a 3/4 inch brow band headstall (see photo). The center bar on the bit cheeks limits the movement of the sliding mouthpiece to provide a quicker action and instant relief. The hard lay nylon cord allows the bit to slide easily. The cord is attached to a stainless steel buckle which attaches it to adjustable single ply 3/4 inch harness leather cheeks. The twisted wire mouthpiece gives a stronger signal than the common snaffle or dog bone snaffle and is very good to use if your horse has become resistant to giving his nose and/or lowering his head. This snaffle should improve stops in a horse that is trying to run off.
How it works: The simultaneous pressure on the mouth from the sliding gag bit and on the poll from the twisted, shaped, stainless steel or the leather crown increases control of the nose and improves total balancing power to produce the ultimate in vertical flexion and feel. Because your rein aids are strengthened with the gag, your leg cues given at the same time become reinforced and easier for the horse to respond to. You will be able to better concentrate on fine details of your training rather than large rebalancing or repositioning efforts regardless of your type of riding. This gag bridle is an excellent training tool for both young and older horses that need to improve flexibility and response. Your horse will learn that when it breaks at the poll the release will be instant, smooth, and consistent. Since these gags release so quickly your horse is not trapped in position while it waits for the release to occur. This helps horses stay calm and confident in training and also when they are in competition. The leather crown works well with this twisted wire mouthpiece on horses that want to drop their heads while continuing to pull on the bit.
Although this Sliding Gag is sold without reins, you can choose any Dennis Moreland split reins or roping reins for your sliding gag. To select your reins simply visit the rein category and add them to your order.
If you don’t have experience with sliding gags Dennis Moreland Tack recommends you seek the help of a professional who has experience as you are learning to use them.
Bridle with Buster Welch Bit & XX Reins #HT7
The #HT7 Bridle w/Buster Welch Bit & XX Reins is made up of the:
Headstall: This beautiful HS53 Two Buckle Slide Ear Headstall with Rawhide is made of 5/8 inch single ply harness leather with exquisite hand-braided rawhide on the cheek pieces and a beautiful rawhide accent on the ear piece. The buckles are beveled stainless steel handstitched to stay in place and with hand braided rawhide loops. This is a gorgeous headstall in the show ring and also very durable for everyday use. It comes with slot conchos, shown.
Bit: #B5 Steel Buster Welch Shank Bit with Silver. This solid shank bit has 7 1/2 inch shanks and a 5 1/8 inch wide mouthpiece. This is a favorite among horsemen, especially cutters. If you aren’t getting quite enough feel or response from your aluminum bit this may be a perfect replacement. The port on this 6F mouthpiece has a slight rise to give some tongue relief. The mouthpiece is flat allowing even contact across the tongue, not just at the area of the bars as in a mouthpiece with bend. This bit is made from high strength 4130 steel and is beautifully overlaid with hand engraved nickel silver.
Curb: #CU20 Nylon Stainless Steel Dog Chain Curb. The chain in this curb is stainless steel with 1/8 inch nylon cord ties. This curb gives a stronger signal than either a leather curb or a flat 1/2 inch chain curb.
Reins: #ASR3 Dennis Moreland XX Harness Leather Split Reins. These are the biggest selling rein I make. They’re hand cut from heavy harness leather and are 7 to 7 1/2 feet long and 5/8 inch wide and are short enough to ride little cutters with and heavy enough to show in. Heavy harness leather bridle reins are very special to me. Every effort is made to give you the best rein you have ever had. From working with the tannery to get only the finest dense, tight fibered leather available, to cutting the reins in pairs, edging, hand rubbing, oiling and hand rubbing again for a great feel before the reins are shipped to you. This tight fibered harness leather will last for years of hard use.
This bridle is perfect for the arena and will also hold up for years under the toughest outdoor conditions.
Bridle with Eggbutt & Harness Leather Reins #HT1
This Bridle w/ Eggbutt & Harness Leather Reins #HT1 is made up of:
• Headstall: 3/4 Inch Browband Headstall #HS24. This headstall is made of heavy single ply harness leather, 3/4 inches wide. The leather has been hand-edged, hand-rubbed, oiled with Neatsfoot Oil and hand-rubbed again. The browband is doubled and stitched which helps give this headstall a very eye-catching appearance. The throatlatch is made of 5/8 inch single ply leather. All the buckles are beveled stainless steel with leather loop keepers. The leather beneath the buckles is hand sewn together to prevent the buckles from slipping which helps make this headstall so nice to adjust to fit different horses. This bridle is available in 3 headstall sizes (see dropdown). The small horse size has a 28 inch crown and is designed to fit horses under 14 1/2 hands. The average horse size has a 33 inch crown to fit horses approximately 14 1/2 to 15 1/2 hands. The large horse size comes with a 36 inch crown and is designed to fit horses over 15 1/2 hands.
• Bit: Eggbutt Snaffle #18. The eggbutt snaffle mouthpiece has a slight bow which tends to be easier on the mouth while at the same time giving a slightly more direct signal than the ring snaffle. The mouthpiece is inlaid with copper to promote salivation.
• Curb: Rawhide Ball Curb #CU40. This Rawhide Ball Curb is made of 1/2 inch hand-edged latigo and is complimented with handbraided rawhide balls and loops. This curb is AQHA and NRCHA legal on a snaffle.
Reins: Two rein choices available (see dropdown).
• DM Harness Leather Split Reins #ASR6. These reins are hand cut, hand-edged, 6 1/2 to 7 feet long and 5/8 inch wide. They are just right for riding colts and they feel great.
• X Harness Leather Split Reins #ASR4. These reins average 7 to 7 1/2 feet in length and are 5/8 of an inch wide. These are a good choice for colts and horses over 14 hands.
Make it easy! Get this handmade bridle ready to ride! It’s AQHA and NRCHA legal in snaffle bit classes.
Cowboy Split Ear Headstall #HS11
Description: The Cowboy Split Ear Headstall is made of single ply 5/8 inch heavy harness leather. The buckle is beveled stainless steel with a leather loop keeper. The leather beneath the buckle is hand sewn together to prevent the buckle from slipping. The headstall has been edged, hand-rubbed, oiled with Neatsfoot Oil and hand-rubbed again. The Cowboy Split Ear is designed with teardrop bit ends.
How it works: This headstall has an extra-long ear split which allows it to nicely fit all horses, big and small. This headstall really fits a horse. This is my favorite single ply headstall and continues to be one of my best sellers. I designed the pattern for this when I started my business in 1976 and in those days I used to trace it on the leather by using a wooden pattern I had carved! The design has not changed (but my pattern isn’t wooden anymore)!
Available with your choice of tie end, slot concho or concho bit ends (see dropdown). Slot conchos are the safest way to attach a headstall to a bit, I highly recommend the slot concho. They’re punchy and they look great. Dennis
Shown with slot conchos.
Bridle with Eggbutt & Mecate #HT2
The Bridle w/ Eggbutt & Mecate #HT2 is made up of the:
• Headstall: 3/4 inch Browband Headstall #HS24. This browband headstall is made of heavy single ply harness leather, 3/4 inches wide. The leather has been hand-edged, hand-rubbed, oiled with Neatsfoot Oil and hand-rubbed again. The browband is doubled and stitched which helps give this headstall a very eye-catching appearance. The throatlatch is made of 5/8 inch single ply leather. All the buckles are beveled stainless steel with leather loop keepers. The leather beneath the buckles is hand sewn together to prevent the buckles from slipping which helps make this headstall so easy to adjust to fit different horses. This bridle is available in 3 headstall sizes (see dropdown). The small horse size has a 28 inch crown and is designed to fit horses under 14 1/2 hands. The average horse size has a 33 inch crown to fit horses approximately 14 1/2 to 15 1/2 hands. The large horse size comes with a 36 inch crown and is designed to fit horses over 15 1/2 hands.
• Bit: Eggbutt Snaffle #18. The eggbutt mouthpiece has a slight bow which tends to be easier on the mouth while at the same time giving a clearer signal than the ring snaffle by applying pressure to the mouth on the opposite side of the pull. The mouthpiece is inlaid with copper to promote moistness in the mouth.
• Curb: Leather Curb Strap with Rawhide #CU40. This eye catching curb is made of 1/2 inch hand-edged latigo and is complimented with handbraided rawhide balls and loops. This curb is AQHA and NRCHA legal on snaffles.
• Mecate: Round 5/8 inch Nylon Mecate #DMR5. This mecate is made of round 5/8 inch brown braid-on-braid nylon and is available in your choice of 22 or 24 foot lengths (see dropdown to order). The 22 foot is a good length for colts and horses 14 hands and under while the 24 foot length works well on those over 14 hands. It’s made with a ring knot and tassel at one end and a 5/8 inch leather popper at the opposite end. The mecate is attached to the bit with slobber straps.
• Slobber Straps: Slobber Straps #ZL. These slobber straps are made of 2 inch x 5 1/2 inch (folded) racetrack harness leather.
This is a durable, punchy outfit that will last through years of hard use. This bridle will feel good in your hands and to the horse, it is made of the best leather I can buy. The eggbutt is stainless steel.
Make it easy on yourself! Get this extremely high quality bridle ready to ride!