Basket Stamped Two Buckle Slide Ear Headstall #HS42
Description: The Basket Stamped Two Buckle Slide Ear Headstall is made of 5/8 inch double and stitched skirting leather. It has a precisely designed slide ear piece that will fit comfortably on any age or size horse. There are two beveled stainless steel adjustment buckles with hand braided rawhide loop keepers. The extra hand stitching just below the buckles prevent them from slipping. Doubled and stitched leather is more durable and longer lasting than single ply leather. The doubled & stitched headstalls are not thicker than single ply so still have that good feel in your hands and on the horse.
Crafting: To make a doubled and stitched stamped headstall I take 2 pieces of skirting leather and split them to the correct thicknesses. Next I glue the 2 pieces and carefully cut the desired shapes. Finally it’s stitched together and completely hand stamped.
Available with your choice of slot concho, concho, or tie string bit ends (see dropdown).
Shown with slot conchos.
Sliding Gag Bit with Snaffle Mouthpiece #20
Description: You have a choice of 3 snaffle mouthpieces and 3 headstalls with this Sliding Gag Bit. The mouthpiece choices are a 3/8 inch common snaffle, a 5/8 inch common snaffle or a dog bone snaffle. See the photos at left, descriptions below, and dropdown to order. You also have your choice of 3 headstalls. The first is a stainless steel twisted wire headstall which is designed for horses that need a very strong signal. For the more sensitive horse, a 3/4 inch harness leather slide ear headstall or a 3/4 inch brow band headstall are also available. See the photo at left and the dropdown to order.
The custom designed bit slides easily on the hard lay nylon slide cord made especially for this bit. You will get quick and consistent cues from your reins because of the way the bit slides on this cord. The cord is attached to a stainless steel buckle which attaches it to adjustable single ply 3/4 inch harness leather cheeks. See the diagram at left to visualize this.
#9: The Two Piece (common) Snaffle mouthpiece #9 is 3/8” in diameter. It works to give you a quicker and more consistent response when you ask your horse to give its head.
#52: The mouthpiece on the #52 common snaffle is 5/8” in diameter. The large diameter will help your horse relax. If your horse is anxious or afraid of the bit this mouthpiece may work very well. This bit gives a slower signal than a mouthpiece that’s smaller in diameter. This slower signal will help reduce anxious behavior.
#16: The 3/8” Dog Bone Snaffle. This snaffle really helps a horse relax because it is such a gentle mouthpiece. The extra link in the middle of the bit spreads the pressure from the rein signal more evenly across the mouth than a common 2 piece snaffle. The copper rings promote salivation and give the horse something to roll with his tongue to help him relax.
How it works: The Sliding Gag Bit puts pressure on the mouth and at the same time the headstall crown puts pressure on the poll. These 2 points of pressure increase control of the nose and improve total balancing power. With the increased control and balance you will gain vertical flexion and feel.
The gag bit strengthens your rein aids so your leg cues given at the same time become reinforced. This makes it easier for the horse to respond. You will be able to concentrate on fine details of your training, rather than large rebalancing or repositioning efforts. This gag bridle will improve your horse’s flexibility and increase his response to your cues.
The center bar on the bit cheeks limits the movement of the sliding mouthpiece. This limited movement provides a quicker action and a much quicker release than gags with longer shanks. Your horse learns that when it breaks at the poll the release will be instant, smooth and consistent. Your horses will be calmer and more confident in training and competition when they are not trapped by a slow releasing gag.
Choose any Dennis Moreland split reins or roping reins for your sliding gag. The Sliding Gag is sold without reins. To select your reins visit the rein category and add them to your order.
Seek the help of a professional as you are learning to use a sliding gag bit if you don’t have experience.
Sliding Gag Bit with Twisted Wire Snaffle #20-42
Description: This Dennis Moreland Tack Sliding Gag Bit is built with a twisted wire mouthpiece. You have a choice of a stainless steel twisted wire headstall or, for the more sensitive horse, a 3/4 inch harness leather slide ear headstall or a 3/4 inch brow band headstall (photo at left, please see dropdown to order). The center bar on the bit cheeks limits the movement of the sliding mouthpiece to provide a quicker action and instant relief. The hard lay nylon cord allows the bit to slide easily. The cord is attached to a stainless steel buckle which attaches it to adjustable single ply 3/4 inch harness leather cheeks. The twisted wire mouthpiece gives a stronger signal than the common snaffle or dog bone snaffle and is very good to use if your horse has become resistant to giving his nose and/or lowering his head. This snaffle should improve stops in a horse that is trying to run off.
How it works: The simultaneous pressure on the mouth from the sliding gag bit and on the poll from the twisted, shaped, stainless steel or the leather crown increases control of the nose and improves total balancing power to produce the ultimate in vertical flexion and feel. Because your rein aids are strengthened with the gag, your leg cues given at the same time become reinforced and easier for the horse to respond to. You will be able to better concentrate on fine details of your training rather than large rebalancing or repositioning efforts regardless of your type of riding. This gag bridle is an excellent training tool for both young and older horses that need to improve flexibility and response. Your horse will learn that when it breaks at the poll the release will be instant, smooth, and consistent. Since these gags release so quickly your horse is not trapped in position while it waits for the release to occur. This helps horses stay calm and confident in training and also when they are in competition. The leather crown works well with this twisted wire mouthpiece on horses that want to drop their heads while continuing to pull on the bit.
The Sliding Gag is sold without reins. Any Dennis Moreland Tack split reins or roping reins will work. To select your reins visit the rein category.
If you don’t have experience with sliding gags Dennis Moreland Tack recommends you seek the help of a professional who has experience as you are learning to use them.
Bridle w/ Eggbutt & Harness Leather Reins #HT1
This Bridle w/ Eggbutt & Harness Leather Reins #HT1 is made up of:
• Headstall: 3/4 Inch Browband Headstall #HS24. This headstall is made of heavy single ply harness leather, 3/4 inches wide. The leather has been hand-edged, hand-rubbed, oiled with Neatsfoot Oil and hand-rubbed again. The browband is doubled and stitched which helps give this headstall a very eye-catching appearance. The throatlatch is made of 5/8 inch single ply leather. All the buckles are beveled stainless steel with leather loop keepers. The leather beneath the buckles is hand sewn together to prevent the buckles from slipping which helps make this headstall so nice to adjust to fit different horses. This bridle is available in 3 headstall sizes (see dropdown). The small horse size has a 28 inch crown and is designed to fit horses under 14 1/2 hands. The average horse size has a 33 inch crown to fit horses approximately 14 1/2 to 15 1/2 hands. The large horse size comes with a 36 inch crown and is designed to fit horses over 15 1/2 hands.
• Bit: Eggbutt Snaffle #18. The eggbutt snaffle mouthpiece has a slight bow which tends to be easier on the mouth while at the same time giving a slightly more direct signal than the ring snaffle. The mouthpiece is inlaid with copper to promote salivation.
• Curb: Rawhide Ball Curb #CU40. This Rawhide Ball Curb is made of 1/2 inch hand-edged latigo and is complimented with handbraided rawhide balls and loops. This curb is AQHA and NRCHA legal.
Reins: Two rein choices available (see dropdown).
• DM Harness Leather Split Reins #ASR6. These reins are hand cut, hand-edged, 6 1/2 to 7 feet long and 5/8 inch wide. They are just right for riding colts and they feel great.
• X Harness Leather Split Reins #ASR4. These reins average 7 to 7 1/2 feet in length and are 5/8 of an inch wide. These are a good choice for colts and horses over 14 hands.
Make it easy! Get this very great handmade bridle ready to ride!
Bridle w/ Aluminum Bit & D & S Reins #HT5
The Bridle w/ Aluminum Bit & D & S Reins #HT5 is made up of the:
• Headstall: Cowboy Headstall #HS51 with Braided Rawhide. The crown and sliding ear piece on this beautiful headstall are covered with exquisite hand braided rawhide. The sliding ear piece is designed to fit both small and large horses comfortably.
• Bit: 7″ Aluminum Shank Bit #B9. This bit comes with your choice of steel mouthpieces (order in dropdown). This is a good mild bit to introduce your colt to a shanked bit from a snaffle or hackamore. This lightweight shanks allow a soft touch to pull a green horse around to teach them to turn and maneuver in a shank bit. Close-up of the bit and mouthpiece choices shown at left. Shown with mouthpiece #2B.
• Curb: Curb Strap with Flat Chain #CU10. This curb strap is made of two 1/2 inch burgundy latigo leather straps that are hand-edged, hand-rubbed and waxed. The beveled buckles, flat chain and wire loops are all made of stainless steel. AQHA legal.
• Reins: Latigo on Latigo 5/8″ Reins Med Wt #BLL1 or Latigo on Latigo 5/8″ Reins Heavy Wt #BLL2. Your choice of medium or heavy weight Double and Stitched Reins (see dropdown) are made particularly for our shorter cutting and cow horses. At 7 feet in length they are perfect for keeping your horse gathered in those quick tight turns while never touching the ground. Close-up of the reins shown at left.
This is a really good bridle to transition that snaffle or hackamore colt to. It can also be used on the older horse that needs a light weight, mild bit. Make it easy on yourself! Get this beautifully hand made top quality bridle ready to ride!
Bridle with Shanked Bit & Doubled & Stitched Reins #HT6
The #HT6 Bridle w/Shanked Bit & D & S Reins is made up of the:
• Headstall: This #HS32 Doubled and Stitched One Buckle Slide Ear Headstall is made of 5/8 inch race track harness leather lined with oil-tanned lining leather. The oil-tanned lining leather is soft and feels good against your horse’s face. Race track harness is a very dense, fine grained leather which makes it strong but flexible. The buckle piece on this headstall is extra short to keep the buckle away from the horse’s eye. The bit is connected to the headstall with slot conchos, the safest connection available.
• Bit: #A4 Steel C Shank with Silver Bit. Almost all horses respond to this shank with confidence and content. Mouthpieces are available for every need (see the 2 pictures at left). Select your mouthpiece in the dropdown below. All mouthpieces are 5 1/8 inch wide and made of steel or a combination of steel and copper. This bit comes with the #BH51 3/8 inch Latigo Leather Bit Hobble.
• Curb: #CU10 Stainless Steel Flat Chain Curb. This curb is made of two 1/2 inch burgundy latigo leather straps with stainless steel beveled buckles, flat chain and wire loops. AQHA legal.
• Reins: #BLL1 Latigo on Latigo 5/8″ Reins Med Wt OR #BLL2 Latigo on Latigo 5/8″ Reins Heavy Wt. At 7 feet in length they are perfect for keeping your horse gathered in quick tight turns while never touching the ground. They are just right for riding colts and our shorter cutting and cow horses too. Close-up of the reins shown at left, order in the dropdown below.
This bridle is very functional, exceptional handmade quality, built to last and the shorter reins will stay balanced in quick tight turns in the cow pen! The bit in this bridle is well accepted by almost every horse.
Shown on horse in addition to the #HT6 Complete Bridle is a well used BC2 Shaped Breast Collar.