Basket Stamped Two Buckle Slide Ear Headstall #HS42
Description: The Basket Stamped Two Buckle Slide Ear Headstall is made of 5/8 inch double and stitched skirting leather. It has a precisely designed slide ear piece that will fit comfortably on any age or size horse. There are two beveled stainless steel adjustment buckles with hand braided rawhide loop keepers. The extra hand stitching just below the buckles prevent them from slipping. Doubled and stitched leather is more durable and longer lasting than single ply leather. The doubled & stitched headstalls are not thicker than single ply so still have that good feel in your hands and on the horse.
Crafting: To make a doubled and stitched stamped headstall I take 2 pieces of skirting leather and split them to the correct thicknesses. Next I glue the 2 pieces and carefully cut the desired shapes. Finally it’s stitched together and completely hand stamped.
Available with your choice of slot concho, concho, or tie string bit ends (see dropdown).
Shown with slot conchos.
Bridle with Aluminum Bit & Doubled & Stitched Reins #HT5
The Bridle with Aluminum Bit & Doubled and Stitched Reins #HT5 is made up of the:
• Headstall: Cowboy Headstall #HS51 with Braided Rawhide. The crown and sliding ear piece on this beautiful headstall are covered with exquisite hand braided rawhide. The sliding ear piece is designed to fit both small and large horses comfortably.
• Bit: 7″ Aluminum Shank Bit #B9. This bit comes with your choice of steel mouthpieces (order in dropdown). This is a good mild bit to introduce your colt to a shanked bit from a snaffle or hackamore. This lightweight shanks allow a soft touch to pull a green horse around to teach them to turn and maneuver in a shank bit. Close-up of the bit and mouthpiece choices shown at left. Shown with mouthpiece #2B.
• Curb: Curb Strap with Flat Chain #CU10. This curb strap is made of an 1/2 inch wide chain attached between two 1/2 inch burgundy latigo leather straps that are hand-edged, hand-rubbed and waxed. The curb can be attached to the bit with the chain flat or with the chain in a twisted position. The beveled buckles, chain and wire loops are all made of stainless steel. This curb is AQHA legal when attached with the chain in the flat position.
• Reins: Latigo on Latigo 5/8″ Reins Med Wt #BLL1 or Latigo on Latigo 5/8″ Reins Heavy Wt #BLL2. Your choice of medium or heavy weight Double and Stitched Reins (see dropdown) are made particularly for our shorter cutting and cow horses. At 7 feet in length they are perfect for keeping your horse gathered in those quick tight turns while never touching the ground. Close-up of the reins shown at left.
This is a really good bridle to transition your colt to from a snaffle or hackamore. It can also be used on the older horse that needs a light weight, mild bit. Make it easy on yourself! Get this beautifully hand made top quality bridle ready to ride!
Basket Stamped Browband Headstall #HS43
Description: The Basket Stamped Browband Headstall is made of 3/4 inch double and stitched skirting leather. The buckles on each cheek piece are beveled stainless steel and have hand braided rawhide loop keepers. The extra hand stitching just below each buckle prevents them from slipping. The throatlatch is 5/8 inch leather. Doubled and stitched leather is more durable and longer lasting than single ply leather but not thicker so will still have that good feel in your hands and on the horse.
Crafting: To make a doubled and stitched stamped headstall I take 2 pieces of skirting leather and split them to the correct thicknesses. Next I glue the 2 pieces and carefully cut the desired shapes. Finally it’s stitched together and the basket weave pattern is stamped.
This is a beautiful handmade headstall for all disciplines. Available with your choice of slot concho, concho, or tie string bit ends (see dropdown).
Shown with slot conchos.
Sliding Gag Bit with Snaffle Mouthpiece #20
Description: You have a choice of 3 snaffle mouthpieces and 3 headstalls with this Draw Gag Bit. The mouthpiece choices are a 3/8 inch common snaffle, a 5/8 inch common snaffle or a dog bone snaffle. See the photos at left, descriptions below, and dropdown to order. You also have your choice of 3 headstalls. The first is a stainless steel twisted wire headstall which is designed for horses that need a very strong signal. For the more sensitive horse, a 3/4 inch harness leather slide ear headstall or a 3/4 inch brow band headstall are also available. See the photo at left and the dropdown to order.
The custom designed bit slides easily on the hard lay nylon slide cord made especially for this bit. You will get quick and consistent cues from your reins because of the way the bit slides on this cord. The cord is attached to a stainless steel buckle which attaches it to adjustable single ply 3/4 inch harness leather cheeks. See the diagram at left to visualize this.
#9: The Two Piece (common) Snaffle mouthpiece #9 is 3/8” in diameter. It works to give you a quicker and more consistent response when you ask your horse to give its head.
#52: The mouthpiece on the #52 common snaffle is 5/8” in diameter. The large diameter will help your horse relax. If your horse is anxious or afraid of the bit this mouthpiece may work very well. This bit gives a slower signal than a mouthpiece that’s smaller in diameter. This slower signal will help reduce anxious behavior.
#16: The 3/8” Dog Bone Snaffle. This snaffle really helps a horse relax because it is such a gentle mouthpiece. The extra link in the middle of the bit spreads the pressure from the rein signal more evenly across the mouth than a common 2 piece snaffle. The copper rings promote salivation and give the horse something to roll with his tongue to help him relax.
How it works: The Sliding Gag Bit puts pressure on the mouth and at the same time the headstall crown puts pressure on the poll. These 2 points of pressure increase control of the nose and improve total balancing power. With the increased control and balance you will gain vertical flexion and feel.
The draw gag bit strengthens your rein aids so your leg cues given at the same time become reinforced. This makes it easier for the horse to respond. You will be able to concentrate on fine details of your training, rather than large rebalancing or repositioning efforts. This gag bridle will improve your horse’s flexibility and increase his response to your cues.
The center bar on the bit cheeks limits the movement of the sliding mouthpiece. This limited movement provides a quicker action and a much quicker release than gags with longer shanks. Your horse learns that when it breaks at the poll the release will be instant, smooth and consistent. Your horses will be calmer and more confident in training and competition when they are not trapped by a slow releasing gag.
Choose any Dennis Moreland split reins or roping reins for your sliding gag. The Sliding Gag is sold without reins. To select your reins visit the rein category and add them to your order.
Seek the help of a professional as you are learning to use a sliding gag bit if you don’t have experience.
Bridle with Spanish Bit & Romal Reins #HT91
The #HT91 Bridle w/Spanish Bit & Romal Reins is made up of the:
Headstall: #HS51 Cowboy Headstall with Braided Rawhide. This headstall is made of 5/8 inch harness leather. The crown and sliding ear piece are covered with exquisite hand braided rawhide. The sliding ear piece is designed to fit both small and large horses. The beveled buckle is stainless steel. The leather beneath the buckle is handsewn together to keep the buckle from slipping during adjustments.
Bit: This bridle comes with your choice of the #B91 Spanish Bit w/ Spade or the #B92 Spanish Bit w/Frog which has 8 1/4 inch shanks covered with hand engraved inlaid silver. The frog mouthpiece has a 2 inch port with a copper cricket and is 5 inches wide. The cricket rolls beautifully and sounds soothing to the horse as well as helping to keep the mouth moist. The shank and the port on this bit is angled making this a good bit to advance your younger horse to from the hackamore or curb.
Curb: #CU21 Double Buckle Leather Curb. This curb is made of single ply 5/8 inch harness leather that is hand-edged, hand-rubbed, treated with Neatsfoot Oil and hand-rubbed again. It is both AQHA legal and NRCHA legal on a bridle.
Romal Reins: #CCR1 Rawhide Romal Reins. These are made of finely braided rawhide crafted by an expert braider with 45 buttons and 9 barrel knots. Reins are braided on your choice of 2 core widths: 3/16 inch for smaller hands and 1/4 inch for bigger hands (see dropdown). The romal and reins are connected with an 1/2 inch latigo strap with rawhide balls and loops and the reins have stainless steel swivel snaps. The romal and reins are each 48 inches long and connectors are 12 inches for a total of 108 inches. The popper is hand stamped double and stitched skirting leather. See close up picture at left.
This is an absolutely beautiful, top quality outfit for your bridle horse. It is NRCHA legal for all bridle horse classes.
Bridle with Eggbutt & Mecate #HT2
The Bridle w/ Eggbutt & Mecate #HT2 is made up of the:
• Headstall: 3/4 inch Browband Headstall #HS24. This browband headstall is made of heavy single ply harness leather, 3/4 inches wide. The leather has been hand-edged, hand-rubbed, oiled with Neatsfoot Oil and hand-rubbed again. The browband is doubled and stitched which helps give this headstall a very eye-catching appearance. The throatlatch is made of 5/8 inch single ply leather. All the buckles are beveled stainless steel with leather loop keepers. The leather beneath the buckles is hand sewn together to prevent the buckles from slipping which helps make this headstall so easy to adjust to fit different horses. This bridle is available in 3 headstall sizes (see dropdown). The small horse size has a 28 inch crown and is designed to fit horses under 14 1/2 hands. The average horse size has a 33 inch crown to fit horses approximately 14 1/2 to 15 1/2 hands. The large horse size comes with a 36 inch crown and is designed to fit horses over 15 1/2 hands.
• Bit: Eggbutt Snaffle #18. The eggbutt mouthpiece has a slight bow which tends to be easier on the mouth while at the same time giving a clearer signal than the ring snaffle by applying pressure to the mouth on the opposite side of the pull. The mouthpiece is inlaid with copper to promote moistness in the mouth.
• Curb: Leather Curb Strap with Rawhide #CU40. This eye catching curb is made of 1/2 inch hand-edged latigo and is complimented with handbraided rawhide balls and loops. This curb is AQHA and NRCHA legal on snaffles.
• Mecate: Round 5/8 inch Nylon Mecate #DMR5. This mecate is made of round 5/8 inch brown braid-on-braid nylon and is available in your choice of 22 or 24 foot lengths (see dropdown to order). The 22 foot is a good length for colts and horses 14 hands and under while the 24 foot length works well on those over 14 hands. It’s made with a ring knot and tassel at one end and a 5/8 inch leather popper at the opposite end. The mecate is attached to the bit with slobber straps.
• Slobber Straps: Slobber Straps #ZL. These slobber straps are made of 2 inch x 5 1/2 inch (folded) racetrack harness leather.
This is a durable, punchy outfit that will last through years of hard use. This bridle will feel good in your hands and to the horse, it is made of the best leather I can buy. The eggbutt is stainless steel.
Make it easy on yourself! Get this extremely high quality bridle ready to ride!