Basket Stamped Two Buckle Slide Ear Headstall #HS42
Description: The Basket Stamped Two Buckle Slide Ear Headstall is made of 5/8 inch double and stitched skirting leather. It has a precisely designed slide ear piece that will fit comfortably on any age or size horse. There are two beveled stainless steel adjustment buckles with hand braided rawhide loop keepers. The extra hand stitching just below the buckles prevent them from slipping. Doubled and stitched leather is more durable and longer lasting than single ply leather. The doubled & stitched headstalls are not thicker than single ply so still have that good feel in your hands and on the horse.
Crafting: To make a doubled and stitched stamped headstall I take 2 pieces of skirting leather and split them to the correct thicknesses. Next I glue the 2 pieces and carefully cut the desired shapes. Finally it’s stitched together and completely hand stamped.
Available with your choice of slot concho, concho, or tie string bit ends (see dropdown).
Shown with slot conchos.
Steel Buster Welch Shank Bit #B5
Description: This solid Steel Buster Welch Shank Bit #B5 with 7 1/2 inch shanks is a favorite among horsemen, especially cutters. This bit is made from high strength 4130 steel and the shanks are overlaid with hand engraved nickel silver. The steel mouthpiece is 5 1/8 inches wide, 7/16″ in diameter with a flat low port, and is inlaid with copper strips to promote salivation.
How it Works: The angle of the shanks make this a particularly easy bit for the horse to carry and gives the horse time to respond after the reins are adjusted (pulled) before the mouthpiece makes contact with the sides of mouth, tongue and roof of the mouth, and the headstall crown piece makes contact with the poll, and the curb strap makes contact with the chin. This is a great shank if you require a little more response than you are getting with a shorter C style shank.
Nylon Curb Strap with Chain #CU20
Description: The Nylon Curb Strap #CU20 is made with 1/8 inch nylon cord ties and a stainless steel dog chain. This is a great functioning curb and works well for the budget minded horseman.
How it works: This curb gives a strong signal. Check your knots after you tie this to your bit to make certain they are holding securely.
Please visit my tack talk article “Curb Your Enthusiasm” to learn more.
Bridle w/ Eggbutt & Harness Leather Reins #HT1
This Bridle w/ Eggbutt & Harness Leather Reins #HT1 is made up of:
• Headstall: 3/4 Inch Browband Headstall #HS24. This headstall is made of heavy single ply harness leather, 3/4 inches wide. The leather has been hand-edged, hand-rubbed, oiled with Neatsfoot Oil and hand-rubbed again. The browband is doubled and stitched which helps give this headstall a very eye-catching appearance. The throatlatch is made of 5/8 inch single ply leather. All the buckles are beveled stainless steel with leather loop keepers. The leather beneath the buckles is hand sewn together to prevent the buckles from slipping which helps make this headstall so nice to adjust to fit different horses. This bridle is available in 3 headstall sizes (see dropdown). The small horse size has a 28 inch crown and is designed to fit horses under 14 1/2 hands. The average horse size has a 33 inch crown to fit horses approximately 14 1/2 to 15 1/2 hands. The large horse size comes with a 36 inch crown and is designed to fit horses over 15 1/2 hands.
• Bit: Eggbutt Snaffle #18. The eggbutt snaffle mouthpiece has a slight bow which tends to be easier on the mouth while at the same time giving a slightly more direct signal than the ring snaffle. The mouthpiece is inlaid with copper to promote salivation.
• Curb: Rawhide Ball Curb #CU40. This Rawhide Ball Curb is made of 1/2 inch hand-edged latigo and is complimented with handbraided rawhide balls and loops. This curb is AQHA and NRCHA legal.
Reins: Two rein choices available (see dropdown).
• DM Harness Leather Split Reins #ASR6. These reins are hand cut, hand-edged, 6 1/2 to 7 feet long and 5/8 inch wide. They are just right for riding colts and they feel great.
• X Harness Leather Split Reins #ASR4. These reins average 7 to 7 1/2 feet in length and are 5/8 of an inch wide. These are a good choice for colts and horses over 14 hands.
Make it easy! Get this very great handmade bridle ready to ride!
Bridle w/ Aluminum Bit & D & S Reins #HT5
The Bridle w/ Aluminum Bit & D & S Reins #HT5 is made up of the:
• Headstall: Cowboy Headstall #HS51 with Braided Rawhide. The crown and sliding ear piece on this beautiful headstall are covered with exquisite hand braided rawhide. The sliding ear piece is designed to fit both small and large horses comfortably.
• Bit: 7″ Aluminum Shank Bit #B9. This bit comes with your choice of steel mouthpieces (order in dropdown). This is a good mild bit to introduce your colt to a shanked bit from a snaffle or hackamore. This lightweight shanks allow a soft touch to pull a green horse around to teach them to turn and maneuver in a shank bit. Close-up of the bit and mouthpiece choices shown at left. Shown with mouthpiece #2B.
• Curb: Curb Strap with Flat Chain #CU10. This curb strap is made of two 1/2 inch burgundy latigo leather straps that are hand-edged, hand-rubbed and waxed. The beveled buckles, flat chain and wire loops are all made of stainless steel. AQHA legal.
• Reins: Latigo on Latigo 5/8″ Reins Med Wt #BLL1 or Latigo on Latigo 5/8″ Reins Heavy Wt #BLL2. Your choice of medium or heavy weight Double and Stitched Reins (see dropdown) are made particularly for our shorter cutting and cow horses. At 7 feet in length they are perfect for keeping your horse gathered in those quick tight turns while never touching the ground. Close-up of the reins shown at left.
This is a really good bridle to transition that snaffle or hackamore colt to. It can also be used on the older horse that needs a light weight, mild bit. Make it easy on yourself! Get this beautifully hand made top quality bridle ready to ride!
Bridle with Shanked Bit & Doubled & Stitched Reins #HT6
The #HT6 Bridle w/Shanked Bit & D & S Reins is made up of the:
• Headstall: This #HS32 Doubled and Stitched One Buckle Slide Ear Headstall is made of 5/8 inch race track harness leather lined with oil-tanned lining leather. The oil-tanned lining leather is soft and feels good against your horse’s face. Race track harness is a very dense, fine grained leather which makes it strong but flexible. The buckle piece on this headstall is extra short to keep the buckle away from the horse’s eye. The bit is connected to the headstall with slot conchos, the safest connection available.
• Bit: #A4 Steel C Shank with Silver Bit. Almost all horses respond to this shank with confidence and content. Mouthpieces are available for every need (see the 2 pictures at left). Select your mouthpiece in the dropdown below. All mouthpieces are 5 1/8 inch wide and made of steel or a combination of steel and copper. This bit comes with the #BH51 3/8 inch Latigo Leather Bit Hobble.
• Curb: #CU10 Stainless Steel Flat Chain Curb. This curb is made of two 1/2 inch burgundy latigo leather straps with stainless steel beveled buckles, flat chain and wire loops. AQHA legal.
• Reins: #BLL1 Latigo on Latigo 5/8″ Reins Med Wt OR #BLL2 Latigo on Latigo 5/8″ Reins Heavy Wt. At 7 feet in length they are perfect for keeping your horse gathered in quick tight turns while never touching the ground. They are just right for riding colts and our shorter cutting and cow horses too. Close-up of the reins shown at left, order in the dropdown below.
This bridle is very functional, exceptional handmade quality, built to last and the shorter reins will stay balanced in quick tight turns in the cow pen! The bit in this bridle is well accepted by almost every horse.
Shown on horse in addition to the #HT6 Complete Bridle is a well used BC2 Shaped Breast Collar.