Basket Stamped Slot Ear Headstall #HS40
Description: The Basket Stamped Slot Ear Headstall is made of 5/8 inch double and stitched skirting leather. It has a precisely designed slot to fit comfortably on the ear of any age or size horse. There is one beveled stainless steel adjustment buckle with a hand braided rawhide loop keeper. The extra hand stitching just below the buckle prevents it from slipping. The headstall is completely handmade and hand stamped.
Crafting: To make a doubled and stitched stamped headstall I take 2 pieces of skirting leather and split them to the correct thicknesses. Next I glue the 2 pieces and carefully cut the desired shapes. Finally it’s stitched together and stamped. Doubled and stitched leather is more durable and longer lasting than single ply leather. The doubled & stitched items are not thicker than single ply leather so still have that good feel in your hands and on the horse.
Available with your choice of slot concho, concho, or tie string bit ends (see dropdown).
Shown with slot conchos.
Bridle with 3/8″ Snaffle & Doubled & Stitched Reins #HT4
The Bridle with 3/8″ Snaffle & Doubled & Stitched Reins is the perfect bridle to ride your colts in. It’s is made up of the:
• Headstall: 3/4 inch Browband Headstall #HS25. This headstall is made of heavy 3/4″ wide single ply harness leather. The leather has been hand-edged, hand-rubbed, oiled with Neatsfoot Oil and hand-rubbed again. The browband is doubled and stitched. The throatlatch is made of 5/8 inch single ply leather. All the buckles are beveled stainless steel with leather loop keepers. The leather beneath the buckles is hand sewn together to prevent the buckles from slipping which makes this headstall easily adjustable between horses. This bridle is available in 2 headstall sizes (see dropdown). The average horse size has a 33″ crown to fit horses 15 hands and under and the large horse size comes with a 36″ crown and is designed to fit horses over 15 hands. The short cheek pieces on this headstall keep the buckles away from the horse’s eyes.
• Bit: 5/16″ Ring Snaffle #17 with the #9 3/8″ mouthpiece. The mouthpiece on this snaffle has a slight bow which tends to be easier on the mouth while at the same time giving a stronger signal than a flat mouthpiece. The mouthpiece is inlaid with copper to promote moistness in the mouth. Close-up of the bit shown at left.
• Curb: Leather Curb Strap with Rawhide #CU40. This curb is made of 1/2 inch hand-edged latigo and is complimented with beautiful hand braided rawhide balls and loops. This curb is AQHA and NRCHA legal.
• Reins: Latigo on Latigo 5/8″ Reins Med Wt #BLL1 or Latigo on Latigo 5/8″ Reins Heavy Wt #BLL2. Your choice of medium or heavy weight Doubled and Stitched Reins (see dropdown) are made particularly for ranch sorting and other work that requires the horse to stay collected. At 7 feet in length they are perfect for keeping your horse gathered in those quick tight turns while not dragging the ground. They are just right for riding colts and our shorter cutting and cow horses too. Close-up of the reins shown at left.
This bridle is designed for the Cutter, Ranch Sorter and Cow horse. It’s very functional and built to last. Best of all it will help you in those quick tight turns in the pen! This is also the perfect piece of equipment to start your colts in.
3/4″ Split Ear Headstall #HS12
Description: The 3/4 Inch Split Ear Headstall is made of single ply 3/4 inch heavy harness leather. This headstall has an extra-long ear split so it easily adjusts to fit any size horse, big and small. As a matter of fact it fits bigger horses better than any of my other headstalls. The buckle is beveled stainless steel with a leather loop keeper. The leather beneath the buckle is hand sewn together to prevent the buckle from slipping. The headstall has been edged, hand-rubbed, oiled with Neatsfoot Oil and hand-rubbed again. The 3/4 Inch Split Ear is designed with teardrop bit ends.
Available with your choice of tie end, slot concho or concho bit ends (see dropdown). Slot conchos are the safest way to attach a headstall to a bit, I highly recommend the slot concho. Dennis
Shown with slot conchos.
Bridle with Buster Welch Bit & XX Reins #HT7
The #HT7 Bridle w/Buster Welch Bit & XX Reins is made up of the:
Headstall: This beautiful HS53 Two Buckle Slide Ear Headstall with Rawhide is made of 5/8 inch single ply harness leather with exquisite hand-braided rawhide on the cheek pieces and a beautiful rawhide accent on the ear piece. The buckles are beveled stainless steel handstitched to stay in place and with hand braided rawhide loops. This is a gorgeous headstall in the show ring and also very durable for everyday use. It comes with slot conchos, shown.
Bit: #B5 Steel Buster Welch Shank Bit with Silver. This solid shank bit has 7 1/2 inch shanks and a 5 1/8 inch wide mouthpiece. This is a favorite among horsemen, especially cutters. If you aren’t getting quite enough feel or response from your aluminum bit this may be a perfect replacement. The port on this 6F mouthpiece has a slight rise to give some tongue relief. The mouthpiece is flat allowing even contact across the tongue, not just at the area of the bars as in a mouthpiece with bend. This bit is made from high strength 4130 steel and is beautifully overlaid with hand engraved nickel silver.
Curb: #CU20 Nylon Stainless Steel Dog Chain Curb. The chain in this curb is stainless steel with 1/8 inch nylon cord ties. This curb gives a stronger signal than either a leather curb or a flat 1/2 inch chain curb.
Reins: #ASR3 Dennis Moreland XX Harness Leather Split Reins. These are the biggest selling rein I make. They’re hand cut from heavy harness leather and are 7 to 7 1/2 feet long and 5/8 inch wide and are short enough to ride little cutters with and heavy enough to show in. Heavy harness leather bridle reins are very special to me. Every effort is made to give you the best rein you have ever had. From working with the tannery to get only the finest dense, tight fibered leather available, to cutting the reins in pairs, edging, hand rubbing, oiling and hand rubbing again for a great feel before the reins are shipped to you. This tight fibered harness leather will last for years of hard use.
This bridle is perfect for the arena and will also hold up for years under the toughest outdoor conditions.
Sliding Gag Bit with Twisted Wire Snaffle #20-42
Description: This Dennis Moreland Tack Sliding Gag Bit is built with a twisted wire mouthpiece. You have a choice of a stainless steel twisted wire headstall or, for the more sensitive horse, a 3/4 inch harness leather slide ear headstall or a 3/4 inch brow band headstall (see photo). The center bar on the bit cheeks limits the movement of the sliding mouthpiece to provide a quicker action and instant relief. The hard lay nylon cord allows the bit to slide easily. The cord is attached to a stainless steel buckle which attaches it to adjustable single ply 3/4 inch harness leather cheeks. The twisted wire mouthpiece gives a stronger signal than the common snaffle or dog bone snaffle and is very good to use if your horse has become resistant to giving his nose and/or lowering his head. This snaffle should improve stops in a horse that is trying to run off.
How it works: The simultaneous pressure on the mouth from the sliding gag bit and on the poll from the twisted, shaped, stainless steel or the leather crown increases control of the nose and improves total balancing power to produce the ultimate in vertical flexion and feel. Because your rein aids are strengthened with the gag, your leg cues given at the same time become reinforced and easier for the horse to respond to. You will be able to better concentrate on fine details of your training rather than large rebalancing or repositioning efforts regardless of your type of riding. This gag bridle is an excellent training tool for both young and older horses that need to improve flexibility and response. Your horse will learn that when it breaks at the poll the release will be instant, smooth, and consistent. Since these gags release so quickly your horse is not trapped in position while it waits for the release to occur. This helps horses stay calm and confident in training and also when they are in competition. The leather crown works well with this twisted wire mouthpiece on horses that want to drop their heads while continuing to pull on the bit.
Although this Sliding Gag is sold without reins, you can choose any Dennis Moreland split reins or roping reins for your sliding gag. To select your reins simply visit the rein category and add them to your order.
If you don’t have experience with sliding gags Dennis Moreland Tack recommends you seek the help of a professional who has experience as you are learning to use them.
Bridle with Shanked Bit & Doubled & Stitched Reins #HT6
The #HT6 Bridle w/Shanked Bit & D & S Reins is made up of the:
• Headstall: This #HS32 Doubled and Stitched One Buckle Slide Ear Headstall is made of 5/8 inch race track harness leather lined with oil-tanned lining leather. The oil-tanned lining leather is soft and feels good against your horse’s face. Race track harness is a very dense, fine grained leather which makes it strong but flexible. The buckle piece on this headstall is extra short to keep the buckle away from the horse’s eye. The bit is connected to the headstall with slot conchos, the safest connection available.
• Bit: #A4 Steel C Shank with Silver Bit. Almost all horses respond to this shank with confidence and content. Mouthpieces are available for every need (see pictures at left and select in dropdown). All mouthpieces are 5 1/8 inch wide and made of steel or a combination of steel and copper. This bit comes with the #BH51 3/8 inch Latigo Leather Bit Hobble.
• Curb: Curb Strap with Flat Chain #CU10. This curb strap is made of an 1/2 inch wide chain attached between two 1/2 inch burgundy latigo leather straps that are hand-edged, hand-rubbed and waxed. The curb can be attached to the bit with the chain flat or with the chain in a twisted position. The beveled buckles, chain and wire loops are all made of stainless steel. This curb is AQHA legal when attached with the chain in the flat position.
• Reins: #BLL1 Latigo on Latigo 5/8″ Reins Med Wt OR #BLL2 Latigo on Latigo 5/8″ Reins Heavy Wt. At 7 feet in length they are perfect for keeping your horse gathered in quick tight turns while never touching the ground. They are just right for riding colts and our shorter cutting and cow horses too. A close-up of the reins is shown at left; make your selection in the dropdown.
This bridle is very functional, exceptional handmade quality, built to last and the shorter reins will stay balanced in quick tight turns in the cow pen! The bit in this bridle is well accepted by almost every horse.
Shown on horse in addition to the #HT6 Complete Bridle is a well used BC2 Shaped Breast Collar.