Doubled and Stitched One Buckle Headstall #HS32
Description: The Doubled and Stitched One Buckle Slide Ear Headstall #HS32 is made of 5/8 inch race track harness leather lined with oil-tanned lining leather. Race track harness is a very dense, fine grained leather which makes it strong but flexible. This is the best leather I can buy. The lining leather feels good against your horse’s face. This headstall is hand-edged, hand-rubbed, treated with Neatsfoot Oil and hand-rubbed again. The beveled buckle is stainless steel. The leather beneath the buckle is hand sewn together to prevent the buckle from slipping.
How it works: The buckle piece on this headstall is extra short to keep the buckle away from the horse’s eye. This doubled & stitched headstall is not thicker than a single ply leather headstall so has that good feel in your hands and on the horse’s face.
Crafting: To make a doubled and stitched headstall I take the race track harness and the oil-tanned lining leathers and split them to the correct thicknesses. Next I glue the 2 pieces and carefully cut the desired shapes. Finally it’s stitched together. Doubled and stitched leather is more durable and longer lasting than single ply leather and also has a nice eye-catching appearance.
The Doubled and Stitched One Buckle Slide Ear Headstall has teardrop bit ends with your choice of slot conchos, tie ends, or conchos (see dropdown).
Shown with slot conchos.
Bridle with Eggbutt & Mecate #HT2
The Bridle w/ Eggbutt & Mecate #HT2 is made up of the:
• Headstall: 3/4 inch Browband Headstall #HS24. This browband headstall is made of heavy single ply harness leather, 3/4 inches wide. The leather has been hand-edged, hand-rubbed, oiled with Neatsfoot Oil and hand-rubbed again. The browband is doubled and stitched which helps give this headstall a very eye-catching appearance. The throatlatch is made of 5/8 inch single ply leather. All the buckles are beveled stainless steel with leather loop keepers. The leather beneath the buckles is hand sewn together to prevent the buckles from slipping which helps make this headstall so easy to adjust to fit different horses. This bridle is available in 3 headstall sizes (see dropdown). The small horse size has a 28 inch crown and is designed to fit horses under 14 1/2 hands. The average horse size has a 33 inch crown to fit horses approximately 14 1/2 to 15 1/2 hands. The large horse size comes with a 36 inch crown and is designed to fit horses over 15 1/2 hands.
• Bit: Eggbutt Snaffle #18. The eggbutt mouthpiece has a slight bow which tends to be easier on the mouth while at the same time giving a clearer signal than the ring snaffle by applying pressure to the mouth on the opposite side of the pull. The mouthpiece is inlaid with copper to promote moistness in the mouth.
• Curb: Leather Curb Strap with Rawhide #CU40. This eye catching curb is made of 1/2 inch hand-edged latigo and is complimented with handbraided rawhide balls and loops. This curb is AQHA and NRCHA legal on snaffles.
• Mecate: Round 5/8 inch Nylon Mecate #DMR5. This mecate is made of round 5/8 inch brown braid-on-braid nylon and is available in your choice of 22 or 24 foot lengths (see dropdown to order). The 22 foot is a good length for colts and horses 14 hands and under while the 24 foot length works well on those over 14 hands. It’s made with a ring knot and tassel at one end and a 5/8 inch leather popper at the opposite end. The mecate is attached to the bit with slobber straps.
• Slobber Straps: Slobber Straps #ZL. These slobber straps are made of 2 inch x 5 1/2 inch (folded) racetrack harness leather.
This is a durable, punchy outfit that will last through years of hard use. This bridle will feel good in your hands and to the horse, it is made of the best leather I can buy. The eggbutt is stainless steel.
Make it easy on yourself! Get this extremely high quality bridle ready to ride!
Sliding Gag with Link Mouthpiece #20-50
Description: A link mouthpiece gives this sliding gag a stronger signal than the common snaffles or the twisted wire mouthpiece and is easily accepted by horses. This Sliding Gag w/Link Mouthpiece #20-50 is made with your choice of a stainless steel twisted wire crown or, for the more sensitive horse, a 3/4 inch harness leather slide ear crown piece or a 3/4 inch brow band headstall (photo at left, please see dropdown to order).
The center bar on this bit’s cheeks limits the movement of the sliding mouthpiece to provide a quicker action and instant relief. The hard lay nylon cord allows the bit to slide easily. The cord is attached to a stainless steel buckle on each side. The buckle is attached to adjustable single ply 3/4 inch harness leather cheeks (see diagram at left). The link mouthpiece is a life-saver if your horse is resistant to the pull and does not want to follow his nose through the turn. This mouthpiece gives the strongest signals of all the gag bit choices.
How it works: The simultaneous pressure on the mouth from the sliding gag bit and on the poll from the twisted, shaped, stainless steel or the leather crown increases control of the nose and improves total balancing power to produce the ultimate in vertical flexion and feel. Because your rein aids are strengthened with the gag, your leg cues given at the same time become reinforced and easier for the horse to respond to. You will be able to better concentrate on fine details of your training rather than large rebalancing or repositioning efforts regardless of your type of riding. This gag bridle is an excellent training tool for both young and older horses that need to improve flexibility and response. Your horse will learn that when it breaks at the poll the release will be instant, smooth, and consistent. Since these gags release so quickly your horse is not trapped in position while it waits for the release to occur. This helps horses stay calm and confident in training and also when they are in competition. The leather crown is designed for horses requiring less pressure on the poll than the stainless steel twisted wire crown produces. The leather crown works well with this link mouthpiece on horses that are sensitive to pressure on the poll but very resistant to giving to the bit. There is instant relief when the pull is discontinued.
The Sliding Gag is sold without reins. Any Dennis Moreland Tack split reins or roping reins will work. To select your reins visit the rein category.
If you don’t have experience with sliding gags Dennis Moreland Tack recommends you seek the help of a professional who has experience as you are learning to use them.
Bridle with Shanked Bit & Doubled & Stitched Reins #HT6
The #HT6 Bridle w/Shanked Bit & D & S Reins is made up of the:
• Headstall: This #HS32 Doubled and Stitched One Buckle Slide Ear Headstall is made of 5/8 inch race track harness leather lined with oil-tanned lining leather. The oil-tanned lining leather is soft and feels good against your horse’s face. Race track harness is a very dense, fine grained leather which makes it strong but flexible. The buckle piece on this headstall is extra short to keep the buckle away from the horse’s eye. The bit is connected to the headstall with slot conchos, the safest connection available.
• Bit: #A4 Steel C Shank with Silver Bit. Almost all horses respond to this shank with confidence and content. Mouthpieces are available for every need (see pictures at left and select in dropdown). All mouthpieces are 5 1/8 inch wide and made of steel or a combination of steel and copper. This bit comes with the #BH51 3/8 inch Latigo Leather Bit Hobble.
• Curb: Curb Strap with Flat Chain #CU10. This curb strap is made of an 1/2 inch wide chain attached between two 1/2 inch burgundy latigo leather straps that are hand-edged, hand-rubbed and waxed. The curb can be attached to the bit with the chain flat or with the chain in a twisted position. The beveled buckles, chain and wire loops are all made of stainless steel. This curb is AQHA legal when attached with the chain in the flat position.
• Reins: #BLL1 Latigo on Latigo 5/8″ Reins Med Wt OR #BLL2 Latigo on Latigo 5/8″ Reins Heavy Wt. At 7 feet in length they are perfect for keeping your horse gathered in quick tight turns while never touching the ground. They are just right for riding colts and our shorter cutting and cow horses too. A close-up of the reins is shown at left; make your selection in the dropdown.
This bridle is very functional, exceptional handmade quality, built to last and the shorter reins will stay balanced in quick tight turns in the cow pen! The bit in this bridle is well accepted by almost every horse.
Shown on horse in addition to the #HT6 Complete Bridle is a well used BC2 Shaped Breast Collar.
Two Buckle Slide Ear Headstall with Rawhide #HS53
Description: The Two Buckle Slide Ear Headstall with Braided Rawhide #HS53 is made of 5/8 inch single ply harness leather with hand-braided rawhide on the cheek pieces and a beautiful rawhide accent on the ear piece. The stainless steel buckles are beveled and have braided rawhide keepers. The leather beneath the buckles is handsewn together to keep the buckles from slipping during adjustments. This headstall looks great with the #BC5 Straight Breast Collar with Rawhide or the #BC7 Full Rawhide Braided Breast Collar and with the #CCR1 Rawhide Romel Reins.
Available with your choice of slot concho, concho, or tie string bit ends (see dropdown).
Shown with slot conchos.
Also shown on the horse is the #A4 Steel C Shank Bit with Silver, the #HU1 Bosalita 3/16 Inch, the #DMR3 Round 3/8 inch Nylon Mecate, the #CCR1 Rawhide Romel Reins and the #BC2 Shaped Breast Collar, custom stamped.
Browband Headstall with Braided Rawhide #HS55
Description: The Browband Headstall with Braided Rawhide #HS55 is made of 3/4 inch single ply harness leather with hand-braided rawhide on the cheek pieces and a beautiful rawhide accent on the browband. The buckles on each cheek are beveled stainless steel with hand braided rawhide loops. The leather beneath the buckles is stitched to keep the buckles from slipping. This is a beautiful piece for work or show and is stunning on your snaffle bit colt! This headstall looks real good with the the #BC5 Straight Breast Collar with Rawhide or the #BC7 Full Rawhide Braided Breast Collar and with the #CCR1 Rawhide Romel Reins..
Available with your choice of slot concho, concho or tie string bit ends (see dropdown).
Shown with slot conchos.