1 Inch Browband Headstall #HS26
Description: The 1 Inch Browband Headstall is made of heavy 1 inch wide single ply harness leather. This is the widest leather I use in a headstall. The browband is doubled and stitched. The throatlatch is made of 3/4 inch single ply leather. All buckles are beveled stainless steel with leather loop keepers. The leather beneath the buckles is hand sewn together to prevent the buckles from slipping. This stitching below the buckles helps make this headstall so nice to adjust between horses, even in very cold weather.
The leather has been hand-edged, hand-rubbed, oiled with Neatsfoot Oil and hand-rubbed again before being shipped to you. I make it at the request of those horsemen who like to ride with a little wider headstall. This is a very sturdy, durable, but flexible, headstall that will last through years of hard cowboying.
Available with slot conchos or tie string bit ends.
Shown with tie strings.
Sliding Gag Bit with Twisted Wire Snaffle #20-42
Description: This Dennis Moreland Tack Sliding Gag Bit is built with a twisted wire mouthpiece. You have a choice of a stainless steel twisted wire headstall or, for the more sensitive horse, a 3/4 inch harness leather slide ear headstall or a 3/4 inch brow band headstall (see photo). The center bar on the bit cheeks limits the movement of the sliding mouthpiece to provide a quicker action and instant relief. The hard lay nylon cord allows the bit to slide easily. The cord is attached to a stainless steel buckle which attaches it to adjustable single ply 3/4 inch harness leather cheeks. The twisted wire mouthpiece gives a stronger signal than the common snaffle or dog bone snaffle and is very good to use if your horse has become resistant to giving his nose and/or lowering his head. This snaffle should improve stops in a horse that is trying to run off.
How it works: The simultaneous pressure on the mouth from the sliding gag bit and on the poll from the twisted, shaped, stainless steel or the leather crown increases control of the nose and improves total balancing power to produce the ultimate in vertical flexion and feel. Because your rein aids are strengthened with the gag, your leg cues given at the same time become reinforced and easier for the horse to respond to. You will be able to better concentrate on fine details of your training rather than large rebalancing or repositioning efforts regardless of your type of riding. This gag bridle is an excellent training tool for both young and older horses that need to improve flexibility and response. Your horse will learn that when it breaks at the poll the release will be instant, smooth, and consistent. Since these gags release so quickly your horse is not trapped in position while it waits for the release to occur. This helps horses stay calm and confident in training and also when they are in competition. The leather crown works well with this twisted wire mouthpiece on horses that want to drop their heads while continuing to pull on the bit.
Although this Sliding Gag is sold without reins, you can choose any Dennis Moreland split reins or roping reins for your sliding gag. To select your reins simply visit the rein category and add them to your order.
If you don’t have experience with sliding gags Dennis Moreland Tack recommends you seek the help of a professional who has experience as you are learning to use them.
One Buckle Slide Ear Headstall with Rawhide #HS54
Description: The One Buckle Slide Ear Headstall with Braided Rawhide is made of 5/8 inch single ply harness leather with hand-braided rawhide on the cheek pieces and a beautiful rawhide accent on the ear piece. The stainless steel buckle is beveled and has a braided rawhide keeper. The leather beneath the buckle is handsewn together to keep the buckle from slipping. This headstall looks great with the #BC5 Straight Breast Collar with Rawhide or the #BC7 Full Rawhide Braided Breast Collar and with the #CCR1 Rawhide Romel Reins.
Available with your choice of slot concho, concho, or tie string bit ends (see dropdown).
Shown with slot conchos.
Bridle with Shanked Bit & Doubled & Stitched Reins #HT6
The #HT6 Bridle w/Shanked Bit & D & S Reins is made up of the:
• Headstall: This #HS32 Doubled and Stitched One Buckle Slide Ear Headstall is made of 5/8 inch race track harness leather lined with oil-tanned lining leather. The oil-tanned lining leather is soft and feels good against your horse’s face. Race track harness is a very dense, fine grained leather which makes it strong but flexible. The buckle piece on this headstall is extra short to keep the buckle away from the horse’s eye. The bit is connected to the headstall with slot conchos, the safest connection available.
• Bit: #A4 Steel C Shank with Silver Bit. Almost all horses respond to this shank with confidence and content. Mouthpieces are available for every need (see pictures at left and select in dropdown). All mouthpieces are 5 1/8 inch wide and made of steel or a combination of steel and copper. This bit comes with the #BH51 3/8 inch Latigo Leather Bit Hobble.
• Curb: Curb Strap with Flat Chain #CU10. This curb strap is made of an 1/2 inch wide chain attached between two 1/2 inch burgundy latigo leather straps that are hand-edged, hand-rubbed and waxed. The curb can be attached to the bit with the chain flat or with the chain in a twisted position. The beveled buckles, chain and wire loops are all made of stainless steel. This curb is AQHA legal when attached with the chain in the flat position.
• Reins: #BLL1 Latigo on Latigo 5/8″ Reins Med Wt OR #BLL2 Latigo on Latigo 5/8″ Reins Heavy Wt. At 7 feet in length they are perfect for keeping your horse gathered in quick tight turns while never touching the ground. They are just right for riding colts and our shorter cutting and cow horses too. A close-up of the reins is shown at left; make your selection in the dropdown.
This bridle is very functional, exceptional handmade quality, built to last and the shorter reins will stay balanced in quick tight turns in the cow pen! The bit in this bridle is well accepted by almost every horse.
Shown on horse in addition to the #HT6 Complete Bridle is a well used BC2 Shaped Breast Collar.
Doubled and Stitched Browband Headstall #HS34
Description: The Doubled and Stitched Browband Headstall is made of 3/4 inch race track harness leather lined with oil-tanned lining leather. Race track harness is a very dense, fine grained leather which makes it strong but flexible. This is the best leather I can buy. The lining leather feels good against your horse’s face. The headstall has beveled stainless steel adjustment buckles with leather keepers on each cheek. The leather beneath the buckles is hand sewn together to prevent the buckles from slipping. The throatlatch is 5/8 inch racetrack leather. The headstall has been edged, hand-rubbed, treated with Neatsfoot Oil and hand-rubbed again. The crown piece on this headstall comes in 2 sizes: 36 inches in length for those horses 15 hands and under and 40 inches for those over 15 hands (see dropdown for choices).
How it works: The short cheek pieces on this headstall keep the buckles away from the horse’s eyes. This doubled & stitched headstall is not thicker than a single ply leather headstall and will have that good feel in your hands and on the horse. A beautiful hard-working headstall made to fit a horse. The #BC1 Straight Breastcollar looks real good with this headstall and is a nice combination for the Versatility Ranch shows.
Crafting: To make a doubled and stitched headstall I take the race track harness and the oil-tanned lining leathers and split them to the correct thickesses. Next I glue the 2 pieces and carefully cut the desired shapes. Finally it’s stitched together. Doubled and stitched leather is more durable and longer lasting than single ply leather and also has a nice eye-catching appearance.
Bit ends are tear drop shaped with your choice of slot conchos, conchos or tie ends (see dropdown).
Shown with slot conchos.
Bridle with 3/8″ Snaffle & XX Reins #HT3
The Bridle w/ 3/8″ Snaffle & XX Reins #HT3 is made up of the:
• Headstall: 3/4 inch Browband Headstall #HS25. This headstall is made of heavy single ply harness leather, 3/4 inches wide. The leather has been hand-edged, hand-rubbed, oiled with Neatsfoot Oil and hand-rubbed again. The browband is doubled and stitched. The throatlatch is made of 5/8 inch single ply leather. All the buckles are beveled stainless steel with leather loop keepers. The leather beneath the buckles is hand sewn together to prevent the buckles from slipping which makes this headstall so easy to adjust between horses. This bridle is available in 2 headstall sizes (see dropdown). The average horse size has a 33″ crown to fit horses 15 hands and under and the large horse comes with a 36″ crown and is designed to fit horses over 15 hands. The short cheek pieces on this headstall keep the buckles away from the horse’s eyes.
• Bit: 5/16″ Ring Snaffle #17 with the #9 3/8″ mouthpiece. The mouthpiece on this snaffle has a slight bow which tends to be easier on the mouth while at the same time giving a stronger signal than a flat mouthpiece. The mouthpiece is inlaid with copper to promote moistness in the mouth. Close-up of the bit shown at left.
• Curb: Leather Curb Strap with Rawhide #CU40. This curb is made of 1/2 inch hand-edged latigo and is complimented with handbraided rawhide balls and loops. This curb is AQHA and NRCHA legal on snaffles.
• Reins: XX Harness Leather Split Reins #ASR3. These reins are 7 to 7 1/2 feet long and 5/8 inch wide. They are just right for riding colts, are heavy enough to show in and have great feel. Close-up of the reins at left.
This is the bridle the pros start and show their colts in; very functional, exceptional handmade quality, and built to last. Also shown on the horse is the Shaped Breast Collar #BC2 which may be purchased separately.
Get this beautiful professional quality handmade bridle ready to ride!