Shaped Breast Collar #BC2
Description: This breast collar has a shaped harness leather body that tapers from 1 3/4 inches to 1 1/4 inches. The body is lined with burgundy latigo leather with a sheepskin lined chafe under the center dee. Tugs are 3/4 inch single ply leather. The hold down strap is double and stitched adjustable 3/4 inch harness leather with an easily adjustable buckle. Leather is edged, hand-rubbed, treated with Neatsfoot Oil and hand-rubbed again. Ring, dees, buckles and snap are stainless steel.
How it works: This is my favorite breast collar. It will fit any size horse from a 2 year old colt to a 16+ hand ranch horse because the body of the breast collar is shorter than other breast collars on the market thereby allowing proper use of the adjustable tugs. It is available in regular smooth or roughout leather (see dropdown).
Bridle with 3/8″ Snaffle & XX Reins #HT3
The Bridle w/ 3/8″ Snaffle & XX Reins #HT3 is made up of the:
• Headstall: 3/4 inch Browband Headstall #HS25. This headstall is made of heavy single ply harness leather, 3/4 inches wide. The leather has been hand-edged, hand-rubbed, oiled with Neatsfoot Oil and hand-rubbed again. The browband is doubled and stitched. The throatlatch is made of 5/8 inch single ply leather. All the buckles are beveled stainless steel with leather loop keepers. The leather beneath the buckles is hand sewn together to prevent the buckles from slipping which makes this headstall so easy to adjust between horses. This bridle is available in 2 headstall sizes (see dropdown). The average horse size has a 33″ crown to fit horses 15 hands and under and the large horse comes with a 36″ crown and is designed to fit horses over 15 hands. The short cheek pieces on this headstall keep the buckles away from the horse’s eyes.
• Bit: 5/16″ Ring Snaffle #17 with the #9 3/8″ mouthpiece. The mouthpiece on this snaffle has a slight bow which tends to be easier on the mouth while at the same time giving a stronger signal than a flat mouthpiece. The mouthpiece is inlaid with copper to promote moistness in the mouth. Close-up of the bit shown at left.
• Curb: Leather Curb Strap with Rawhide #CU40. This curb is made of 1/2 inch hand-edged latigo and is complimented with handbraided rawhide balls and loops. This curb is AQHA and NRCHA legal on snaffles.
• Reins: XX Harness Leather Split Reins #ASR3. These reins are 7 to 7 1/2 feet long and 5/8 inch wide. They are just right for riding colts, are heavy enough to show in and have great feel. Close-up of the reins at left.
This is the bridle the pros start and show their colts in; very functional, exceptional handmade quality, and built to last. Also shown on the horse is the Shaped Breast Collar #BC2 which may be purchased separately.
Get this beautiful professional quality handmade bridle ready to ride!
Doubled and Stitched Slot Ear Headstall #HS31
Description: The Doubled and Stitched One Buckle Slot Ear Headstall #HS31 is made of 5/8 inch race track harness leather lined with oil-tanned lining leather. Race track harness is a very dense, fine grained leather which makes it strong but flexible. This is the best leather I can buy. The lining leather feels good against your horse’s face. The headstall has a beveled stainless steel adjustment buckle. The leather beneath the buckle is handsewn together to keep the buckle from slipping. The headstall has been edged, hand-rubbed, treated with Neatsfoot Oil and hand-rubbed again.
How it works: The short cheek piece on this headstall keeps the buckle away from the horse’s eye. The slot ear is sized right to fit small and large horses. This is such a nice easy headstall to slip on a horse and be on your way.
Crafting: To make a doubled and stitched headstall I take the race track harness and the oil-tanned lining leathers and split them to the correct thicknesses. Next I glue the 2 pieces and carefully cut the desired shapes. Finally it’s stitched together. Doubled and stitched leather is more durable and longer lasting than single ply leather and also has a nice eye-catching appearance. The doubled & stitched items are not thicker than single ply leather so still have that good feel in your hands and on the horse. “Matlock Rose designed the pattern for this headstall which he used on every horse he rode. In 1976 he gave the pattern to me. I have produced this headstall since that time and it’s always been my favorite doubled and stitched headstall.” Dennis
The headstall has teardrop bit ends with your choice of slot conchos, tie ends, or conchos (see dropdown).
Shown with slot conchos.
Bridle with Shanked Bit & Doubled & Stitched Reins #HT6
The #HT6 Bridle w/Shanked Bit & D & S Reins is made up of the:
• Headstall: This #HS32 Doubled and Stitched One Buckle Slide Ear Headstall is made of 5/8 inch race track harness leather lined with oil-tanned lining leather. The oil-tanned lining leather is soft and feels good against your horse’s face. Race track harness is a very dense, fine grained leather which makes it strong but flexible. The buckle piece on this headstall is extra short to keep the buckle away from the horse’s eye. The bit is connected to the headstall with slot conchos, the safest connection available.
• Bit: #A4 Steel C Shank with Silver Bit. Almost all horses respond to this shank with confidence and content. Mouthpieces are available for every need (see pictures at left and select in dropdown). All mouthpieces are 5 1/8 inch wide and made of steel or a combination of steel and copper. This bit comes with the #BH51 3/8 inch Latigo Leather Bit Hobble.
• Curb: Curb Strap with Flat Chain #CU10. This curb strap is made of an 1/2 inch wide chain attached between two 1/2 inch burgundy latigo leather straps that are hand-edged, hand-rubbed and waxed. The curb can be attached to the bit with the chain flat or with the chain in a twisted position. The beveled buckles, chain and wire loops are all made of stainless steel. This curb is AQHA legal when attached with the chain in the flat position.
• Reins: #BLL1 Latigo on Latigo 5/8″ Reins Med Wt OR #BLL2 Latigo on Latigo 5/8″ Reins Heavy Wt. At 7 feet in length they are perfect for keeping your horse gathered in quick tight turns while never touching the ground. They are just right for riding colts and our shorter cutting and cow horses too. A close-up of the reins is shown at left; make your selection in the dropdown.
This bridle is very functional, exceptional handmade quality, built to last and the shorter reins will stay balanced in quick tight turns in the cow pen! The bit in this bridle is well accepted by almost every horse.
Shown on horse in addition to the #HT6 Complete Bridle is a well used BC2 Shaped Breast Collar.
Browband Headstall with Braided Rawhide #HS55
Description: The Browband Headstall with Braided Rawhide #HS55 is made of 3/4 inch single ply harness leather with hand-braided rawhide on the cheek pieces and a beautiful rawhide accent on the browband. The buckles on each cheek are beveled stainless steel with hand braided rawhide loops. The leather beneath the buckles is stitched to keep the buckles from slipping. This is a beautiful piece for work or show and is stunning on your snaffle bit colt! This headstall looks real good with the the #BC5 Straight Breast Collar with Rawhide or the #BC7 Full Rawhide Braided Breast Collar and with the #CCR1 Rawhide Romel Reins..
Available with your choice of slot concho, concho or tie string bit ends (see dropdown).
Shown with slot conchos.
Sliding Gag Bit with Twisted Wire Snaffle #20-42
Description: This Dennis Moreland Tack Sliding Gag Bit is built with a twisted wire mouthpiece. You have a choice of a stainless steel twisted wire headstall or, for the more sensitive horse, a 3/4 inch harness leather slide ear headstall or a 3/4 inch brow band headstall (photo at left, please see dropdown to order). The center bar on the bit cheeks limits the movement of the sliding mouthpiece to provide a quicker action and instant relief. The hard lay nylon cord allows the bit to slide easily. The cord is attached to a stainless steel buckle which attaches it to adjustable single ply 3/4 inch harness leather cheeks. The twisted wire mouthpiece gives a stronger signal than the common snaffle or dog bone snaffle and is very good to use if your horse has become resistant to giving his nose and/or lowering his head. This snaffle should improve stops in a horse that is trying to run off.
How it works: The simultaneous pressure on the mouth from the sliding gag bit and on the poll from the twisted, shaped, stainless steel or the leather crown increases control of the nose and improves total balancing power to produce the ultimate in vertical flexion and feel. Because your rein aids are strengthened with the gag, your leg cues given at the same time become reinforced and easier for the horse to respond to. You will be able to better concentrate on fine details of your training rather than large rebalancing or repositioning efforts regardless of your type of riding. This gag bridle is an excellent training tool for both young and older horses that need to improve flexibility and response. Your horse will learn that when it breaks at the poll the release will be instant, smooth, and consistent. Since these gags release so quickly your horse is not trapped in position while it waits for the release to occur. This helps horses stay calm and confident in training and also when they are in competition. The leather crown works well with this twisted wire mouthpiece on horses that want to drop their heads while continuing to pull on the bit.
The Sliding Gag is sold without reins. Any Dennis Moreland Tack split reins or roping reins will work. To select your reins visit the rein category.
If you don’t have experience with sliding gags Dennis Moreland Tack recommends you seek the help of a professional who has experience as you are learning to use them.