Shaped Breast Collar #BC2
Description: This Shaped Breast Collar is made of harness leather. The body pieces are lined with burgundy latigo leather. They taper from 1 3/4 inches at center, to 1 1/4 inches at the Dees. This taper gives it its great-fitting shape. The leather below the center dee is lined with sheepskin. Each tug is made of 3/4 inch single ply leather and has 8 adjustment holes. The hold down strap is doubled and stitched 3/4 inch harness leather with an easily adjustable snap and buckle. The leather is hand edged and rubbed, treated with Neatsfoot Oil, and hand-rubbed again. The ring, dees, roller buckles and snap are all stainless steel.
How it works: This is my favorite breast collar. Firstly, it adjusts to fit almost any sized horse. For instance, it will fit a 2 year old colt as well as it fits a 16+ hand ranch horse. Secondly, the body pieces on this breast collar are shorter than other breast collars on the market. This allows you to use the tugs for adjustment, like they should be used. In addition, the shaped form fits a horse beautifully.
This breast collar is available in your choice of smooth or roughout leather (see dropdown).
Bridle with Shanked Bit & Doubled & Stitched Reins #HT6
The #HT6 Bridle w/Shanked Bit & D & S Reins is made up of the:
• Headstall: This #HS32 Doubled and Stitched One Buckle Slide Ear Headstall is made of 5/8 inch race track harness leather lined with oil-tanned lining leather. The oil-tanned lining leather is soft and feels good against your horse’s face. Race track harness is a very dense, fine grained leather which makes it strong but flexible. The buckle piece on this headstall is extra short to keep the buckle away from the horse’s eye. The bit is connected to the headstall with slot conchos, the safest connection available.
• Bit: #A4 Steel C Shank with Silver Bit. Almost all horses respond to this shank with confidence and content. Mouthpieces are available for every need (see pictures at left and select in dropdown). All mouthpieces are 5 1/8 inch wide and made of steel or a combination of steel and copper. This bit comes with the #BH51 3/8 inch Latigo Leather Bit Hobble.
• Curb: Curb Strap with Flat Chain #CU10. This curb strap is made of an 1/2 inch wide chain attached between two 1/2 inch burgundy latigo leather straps that are hand-edged, hand-rubbed and waxed. The curb can be attached to the bit with the chain flat or with the chain in a twisted position. The beveled buckles, chain and wire loops are all made of stainless steel. This curb is AQHA legal when attached with the chain in the flat position.
• Reins: #BLL1 Latigo on Latigo 5/8″ Reins Med Wt OR #BLL2 Latigo on Latigo 5/8″ Reins Heavy Wt. At 7 feet in length they are perfect for keeping your horse gathered in quick tight turns while never touching the ground. They are just right for riding colts and our shorter cutting and cow horses too. A close-up of the reins is shown at left; make your selection in the dropdown.
This bridle is very functional, exceptional handmade quality, built to last and the shorter reins will stay balanced in quick tight turns in the cow pen! The bit in this bridle is well accepted by almost every horse.
Shown on horse in addition to the #HT6 Complete Bridle is a well used BC2 Shaped Breast Collar.
Sliding Gag Bit with Snaffle Mouthpiece #20
Description: You have a choice of 3 snaffle mouthpieces and 3 headstalls with this Draw Gag Bit. The mouthpiece choices are a 3/8 inch common snaffle, a 5/8 inch common snaffle or a dog bone snaffle. See the photos at left, descriptions below, and dropdown to order. You also have your choice of 3 headstalls (see photo). The first is a stainless steel twisted wire headstall which is designed for horses that need a very strong signal. For the more sensitive horse, a 3/4 inch harness leather slide ear headstall or a 3/4 inch brow band headstall are also available.
The custom designed bit slides easily on the hard lay nylon slide cord made especially for this bit. You will get quick and consistent cues from your reins because of the way the bit slides on this cord. The cord is attached to a stainless steel buckle which attaches it to adjustable single ply 3/4 inch harness leather cheeks. See the diagram at left to visualize this.
#9: The Two Piece (common) Snaffle mouthpiece #9 is 3/8” in diameter. It works to give you a quicker and more consistent response when you ask your horse to give its head.
#52: The mouthpiece on the #52 common snaffle is 5/8” in diameter. The large diameter will help your horse relax. If your horse is anxious or afraid of the bit this mouthpiece may work very well. This bit gives a slower signal than a mouthpiece that’s smaller in diameter. This slower signal will help reduce anxious behavior.
#16: The 3/8” Dog Bone Snaffle. This snaffle really helps a horse relax because it is such a gentle mouthpiece. The extra link in the middle of the bit spreads the pressure from the rein signal more evenly across the mouth than a common 2 piece snaffle. The copper rings promote salivation and give the horse something to roll with his tongue to help him relax.
How it works: The Sliding Gag Bit puts pressure on the mouth and at the same time the headstall crown puts pressure on the poll. These 2 points of pressure increase control of the nose and improve total balancing power. With the increased control and balance you will gain vertical flexion and feel.
The draw gag bit strengthens your rein aids so your leg cues given at the same time become reinforced. This makes it easier for the horse to respond. You will be able to concentrate on fine details of your training, rather than large rebalancing or repositioning efforts. This gag bridle will improve your horse’s flexibility and increase his response to your cues.
The center bar on the bit cheeks limits the movement of the sliding mouthpiece. This limited movement provides a quicker action and a much quicker release than gags with longer shanks. Your horse learns that when it breaks at the poll the release will be instant, smooth and consistent. Your horses will be calmer and more confident in training and competition when they are not trapped by a slow releasing gag.
Although this Sliding Gag is sold without reins, you can choose any Dennis Moreland split reins or roping reins for your sliding gag. To select your reins simply visit the rein category and add them to your order.
Seek the help of a professional as you are learning to use a sliding gag bit if you don’t have experience.
Doubled and Stitched Browband Headstall #HS34
Description: The Doubled and Stitched Browband Headstall is made of 3/4 inch race track harness leather lined with oil-tanned lining leather. Race track harness is a very dense, fine grained leather which makes it strong but flexible. This is the best leather I can buy. The lining leather feels good against your horse’s face. The headstall has beveled stainless steel adjustment buckles with leather keepers on each cheek. The leather beneath the buckles is hand sewn together to prevent the buckles from slipping. The throatlatch is 5/8 inch racetrack leather. The headstall has been edged, hand-rubbed, treated with Neatsfoot Oil and hand-rubbed again. The crown piece on this headstall comes in 2 sizes: 36 inches in length for those horses 16 hands and under and 40 inches for those over 16 hands (see dropdown for choices). This is a general size recommendation and works for most horses.
How it works: The short cheek pieces on this headstall keep the buckles away from the horse’s eyes. This doubled & stitched headstall is not thicker than a single ply leather headstall and will have that good feel in your hands and on the horse. A beautiful hard-working headstall made to fit a horse. The #BC1 Straight Breastcollar looks real good with this headstall and is a nice combination for the Versatility Ranch shows.
Crafting: To make a doubled and stitched headstall I take the race track harness and the oil-tanned lining leathers and split them to the correct thickesses. Next I glue the 2 pieces and carefully cut the desired shapes. Finally it’s stitched together. Doubled and stitched leather is more durable and longer lasting than single ply leather and also has a nice eye-catching appearance.
Bit ends are tear drop shaped with your choice of slot conchos, conchos or tie ends (see dropdown).
Shown with slot conchos.
Doubled and Stitched Two Buckle Headstall #HS33
Description: The Doubled and Stitched Two Buckle Slide Ear Headstall #HS33 is made of 5/8 inch race track harness leather lined with oil-tanned lining leather. Race track harness is a very dense, fine grained leather which makes it strong but flexible. This is the best leather I can buy. The lining leather feels good against your horse’s face. This headstall is hand-edged, hand-rubbed, treated with Neatsfoot Oil and hand-rubbed again. The beveled buckles are stainless steel. The leather beneath the buckles is hand sewn together to prevent the buckles from slipping. The crown piece on this headstall comes in 2 sizes: 36 inches in length for those horses 15 hands and under and 40 inches for those over 15 hands (see dropdown for choices).
How it works: The buckle pieces on this headstall are extra short to keep the buckles away from the horse’s eyes. This doubled & stitched headstall is not thicker than a single ply leather headstall and has that good feel in your hands and on the horse.
Crafting: To make a doubled and stitched headstall I take the race track harness and the oil-tanned lining leathers and split them to the correct thicknesses. Next I glue the 2 pieces and carefully cut the desired shapes. Finally it’s stitched together. Doubled and stitched leather is more durable and longer lasting than single ply leather and also has a nice eye-catching appearance.
The headstall has teardrop bit ends with your choice of slot conchos, tie ends, or conchos (see dropdown).
Shown with slot conchos.
Bridle with Eggbutt & Harness Leather Reins #HT1
This Bridle w/ Eggbutt & Harness Leather Reins #HT1 is made up of:
• Headstall: 3/4 Inch Browband Headstall #HS24. This headstall is made of heavy single ply harness leather, 3/4 inches wide. The leather has been hand-edged, hand-rubbed, oiled with Neatsfoot Oil and hand-rubbed again. The browband is doubled and stitched which helps give this headstall a very eye-catching appearance. The throatlatch is made of 5/8 inch single ply leather. All the buckles are beveled stainless steel with leather loop keepers. The leather beneath the buckles is hand sewn together to prevent the buckles from slipping which helps make this headstall so nice to adjust to fit different horses. This bridle is available in 3 headstall sizes (see dropdown). The small horse size has a 28 inch crown and is designed to fit horses under 14 1/2 hands. The average horse size has a 33 inch crown to fit horses approximately 14 1/2 to 15 1/2 hands. The large horse size comes with a 36 inch crown and is designed to fit horses over 15 1/2 hands.
• Bit: Eggbutt Snaffle #18. The eggbutt snaffle mouthpiece has a slight bow which tends to be easier on the mouth while at the same time giving a slightly more direct signal than the ring snaffle. The mouthpiece is inlaid with copper to promote salivation.
• Curb: Rawhide Ball Curb #CU40. This Rawhide Ball Curb is made of 1/2 inch hand-edged latigo and is complimented with handbraided rawhide balls and loops. This curb is AQHA and NRCHA legal on a snaffle.
Reins: Two rein choices available (see dropdown).
• DM Harness Leather Split Reins #ASR6. These reins are hand cut, hand-edged, 6 1/2 to 7 feet long and 5/8 inch wide. They are just right for riding colts and they feel great.
• X Harness Leather Split Reins #ASR4. These reins average 7 to 7 1/2 feet in length and are 5/8 of an inch wide. These are a good choice for colts and horses over 14 hands.
Make it easy! Get this handmade bridle ready to ride! It’s AQHA and NRCHA legal in snaffle bit classes.